Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 826 Posts

·
Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
2,894 Posts
Except the SB6C will cost thousands mores than one these direct frames.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in the market for one of these next year I think...

But, the worrying bit at the moment, is that there doesn't appear to be any built photo's around. They MUST have built one up, surely?

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
I'm in the market for one of these next year I think...

But, the worrying bit at the moment, is that there doesn't appear to be any built photo's around. They MUST have built one up, surely?
Melody Yu form iCan Bikes told me they're still testing and won't be ready till Dec or Jan.

·
bike rider
5,522 Posts
Here's the problem with a dual link generic Chinese bike: with a single pivot you can look at it and k ow what the wheel path is and how it's gonna feel. If there's a linkage driving the shock you're still rolling the dice that they got the shock rate curve right but at least half the equation is covered. With a dual link small changes can have huge impacts on wheel path and shock rate and it's really hard to tell by looking at a frame how it will work and feel. The whole point of dual links is to create wheel paths and shock rates that can't be done on a single pivot and result in a better ride. You're relying on this company to have actually done a good design rather than just slap some links on cuz that's what's selling well right now. Do you think they've actually put the kind of thought that DW, SC, or Giant do into their suspension layout?

For me it wouldn't be worth the risk to buy a no name frame in this catagory. I love my Chinese rigid because there's not much asked of it. It's light, stiff, and has reasonable geometry (could be better handling but come on, no one's really shredding on a rigid bike). Even in the short travel XC FS category little variations in geometry and shock rate (wheel path looks good for that single pivot, linkage driven frame we've seen) can go mostly unnoticed because handling and feel aren't the top priorities for those bikes. In the AM/Enduro world it's all about how the bike feels. This is a toy that's meant to encourage great cornering, jumping, and confidence at speed on rough terrain. Plenty of otherwise good bikes in this category have been shunned due to sh!tty shock rates that make tuning a hassle. I'd at least like to see the frame properly analysed on Linkage before dropping the money on it.

·
2,894 Posts
This bike is available on Linkage Design's publicly available design database, if you're interested. My demo versions are both done for, otherwise I'd post the results.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts

·
Rocks belong
5,292 Posts
I'll be honest... I can't tell a good design from a bad by looking at a linkage curve

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've sent an email to the HongFu crew to get some more info. My bike got stolen last month.....so i'm looking to do a build. being 6'6" makes it a lil tougher, but I'd like to try a FS this time.

·
2,894 Posts
Yea I'd be very hesitant to suggest one of these chinese bikes for someone over 6'3", simply because even the XL isn't very long by industry standards.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think that it is a very promising proposition, only that I don't fancy the rather steep ha @ 68°. Does anyone have an idea of how accurate these numbers generally are? I suppose that it would perhaps end up at a 66,5-67° with a 160 fork or at least a longer a-c. BB height can be adjusted with offset bushings but that might become a seat stay yoke/tire clearance issue. Anyone with knowledge to share here?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Answering my own question here. Did some tinkering in Linkage. It seems to be minor differences between the Hongfu/dengfu/Lamere/Ican blueprints and images, mainly around the rear triangle. I also believe that the previous linkage model by Dunn is a bit off in the measurements so curves might not be trusted. It also seems like the recommended rear shock is a 200/50mm affair.
Well, adjusting the rear with 2*3mm offset bushings would give you a 67,1 HA and a BB at ca -15mm. Additionally adding a 160mm fork (549mm a-c instead of 539mm) would result in a 66,6 HA and a -12mm BB. ETT shrinks ca 10mm and Reach ca 14mm by these changes.
I think this would become a really good cheapo alternative to a Bronson or a Pivot Mach 6. Close to hitting that buy button.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Im still waiting on a ride report before I pull the trigger. It looks like itll ride like a Pivot Mach 6 with a steeper head angle. I dont want to be a guinea pig on this one, someone build one up!

·
Banned
7,171 Posts

·
bike rider
5,522 Posts
Answering my own question here. Did some tinkering in Linkage. It seems to be minor differences between the Hongfu/dengfu/Lamere/Ican blueprints and images, mainly around the rear triangle. I also believe that the previous linkage model by Dunn is a bit off in the measurements so curves might not be trusted. It also seems like the recommended rear shock is a 200/50mm affair.
Well, adjusting the rear with 2*3mm offset bushings would give you a 67,1 HA and a BB at ca -15mm. Additionally adding a 160mm fork (549mm a-c instead of 539mm) would result in a 66,6 HA and a -12mm BB. ETT shrinks ca 10mm and Reach ca 14mm by these changes.
I think this would become a really good cheapo alternative to a Bronson or a Pivot Mach 6. Close to hitting that buy button.
It's already got a really stack seat tube angle that'll be made even worse with offset bushings and a longer fork. Also you won't know if there's room at bottom out for offset bushings till you built it up and let the air out of the shock. I'm all for finding inexpensive alternatives but I just don't think this frame is gonna make most people in the market for a 2015 AM bike happy. The current geometry trends are so new it'll take another year or so for the copycats to get it right.

·
2,894 Posts
Anyone see shock sizes anywhere? EDIT: 200 I2I, 50mm stroke.

I'd probably size up on any Chinese frame. On a modern name brand bike I'd probably ride a large (610mm horizontal TT), but the one of the Chinese bikes I'd probably spring for the XL.

·
Registered
73 Posts
@Lelandjt
I don't see how a 73° SA is too slack? A Bronson is at 73° with 67° HA, which is exactly the same as this would result in. And the Pivot mach 5.7 is actually at 71.5°SA at 67.2°HA.
I'm not saying that this is a bullet proof buy that will guaranteed work as well as a (much) more expensive frame. I'm just saying that I find it plausible to adjust the angles to my liking through my theoretical testing.
About rear wheel clearance i would say that from the Ican Bikes geometry charts and my mocked up Linkage model It looks like there will be enough clearance. Since the offset bushes will move the rear wheel less than 6mm closer to the seat tube and it looks like there is at leas 20mm to go, I'm willing to take the risk.
I'm not giving any guarantees here and I'm definitely not a professional bike designer or engineer. I'm just sharing my leyman findings.

41 - 60 of 826 Posts