Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Paper or plastic?
10,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That was great fun. Thanks to Bigtrees for showing me around.

1 & 2: mandatory bay pics
3 Mount Tam, perfect sky
4, 5 Enjoying the single track

Attachments

·
Registered
323 Posts
Nah

Fast Eddy said:
I'm sure you meant to post the pics of him riding the man trails off to the left of this girl-scouty one.
... that's what I was up for today. I'll be moving over to the left at my own pace, or when the appropriate substance is available to me at the picnic table. And I don't mean girl scout cookies.

... and it would be better to do it when pimpbot is there, since he photographs all of my crashes.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Conditions ...

cohenfive said:
as many times as i've done the front i've never done the back side...of china camp!! would love to check it out soon. how were the trails in cc?
Backside is perfect ... absolutely no mud even after all this rain.
Frontside was a mudbath last time I tried it.

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
Fast Eddy said:
I'm sure you meant to post the pics of him riding the man trails off to the left of this girl-scouty one.
I typically drop the one just to the left of that one on a hard tail. Since you had the pads, you must have left the man-parts in the van that time, huh? :p

·
Paper or plastic?
10,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dan'ger said:
I typically drop the one just to the left of that one on a hard tail. Since you had the pads, you must have left the man-parts in the van that time, huh? :p
Damn, that's it Bigtrees. You gotta make the big one next time... :) It'd on like Donkey-Kong!!!

·
gimme friction
1,135 Posts
Front side trails were nice 'n' fresh

cohenfive said:
as many times as i've done the front i've never done the back side...of china camp!! would love to check it out soon. how were the trails in cc?
We did two frontside loops yesterday (Sunday) morning. Bayview/Peacock Gap were almost bone dry, and there was very little mud or standing water on Shoreline. I was expecting Shoreline to be WAY messy...

Since the back side seems to hold up even better, I reckon the trails back thar are just about perfect.

Not too many riders out, given the weather. As long as we're having this great wet/dy weather cycle, CC should be mandatory just for the wildflowers alone. The few folks we did see were intent on breaking land-speed records and not giving up the right-of-way.

Also, anybody doing the biggest drop off the Nike site is fargin nuts...that's just too steep for my candy azz... :p

·
Paper or plastic?
10,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quercus agrifolia said:
Also, anybody doing the biggest drop off the Nike site is fargin nuts...that's just too steep for my candy azz... :p
While we were tooling around, we saw this guy riding up slowly up to the big drop-off, circled around a couple times, and went down on his Jekyll. Bastid made it look easy and put us to shame. :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
On the contrary ...

zorg said:
Damn, that's it Bigtrees. You gotta make the big one next time... :) It'd on like Donkey-Kong!!!
Actually, all this adolescent puffing about man-parts and girl scouts is a turn-off, even though I know it's in jest. Typical mtbr male bravado. If I do it, it will be for my own satisfaction ... got nothin to prove.

·
gimme friction
1,135 Posts
Word...

bigtrees said:
Actually, all this adolescent puffing about man-parts and girl scouts is a turn-off, even though I know it's in jest. Typical mtbr male bravado. If I do it, it will be for my own satisfaction ... got nothin to prove.
This is the same attitude that makes it impossible for more than two guys to have a casual ride...in a group, too often everything has to be a race to the finish, to see who blinks first and who has the biggest man-plums.

I've never seen anybody take the steepest Nike drop, but reputable sources have spoken about fools actually getting a bit of air off the lip, and landing on the slope about half-way down. :eek:

I'm sure there are folks who eat that stuff for breakfast, but just thinking about it makes my lizard-sense tingle, and not in a good way.

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
Quercus agrifolia said:
This is the same attitude that makes it impossible for more than two guys to have a casual ride...in a group, too often everything has to be a race to the finish, to see who blinks first and who has the biggest man-plums.

I've never seen anybody take the steepest Nike drop, but reputable sources have spoken about fools actually getting a bit of air off the lip, and landing on the slope about half-way down. :eek:

I'm sure there are folks who eat that stuff for breakfast, but just thinking about it makes my lizard-sense tingle, and not in a good way.
We mess around alot, but we typically have casual rides of 6-10 guys (and girls). The pace gets faster and slower as the bulk of the group speeds and slows but we try not to let anyone get dropped. After all, they're group rides, not races.

I think the largest group we've had at China Camp within the last few months was somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 - 15. After reaching the Nike site, we split into 2 groups as some people wanted to ride a shorter route than others. It's a common event at large group rides to ride for a short while and see who wants to go fast and who wants to take the scenic route.

I've never done the big drops off the side of the Nike site. I'm chicken if that's what defines it. I have dropped the one just below the tree enough times that it is a fairly comfortable feeling. I'm just always afraid that I'll catch the big drop wrong, endo and eat dirt at 75mph.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.