Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Complex answer

pauly mac said:
Is the backside single track a legal trail? Who owns or manages the land?

Paul
Paul, there are at least 3 jurisdictions at CC: the state park, city of san rafael, and then there's a park (county?) whose name escapes me.

Some of the trails are explicitly legal (e.g. gold hill fire road and trails in that park). Some are explicitly illegal (city of SR jurisdiction). Some are not marked in any way.

BTW the city of SR trail that is marked is officially closed, i.e. it's illegal for hikers too.

I suggest you hook up with some locals to learn your way around the backside.

·
Master of '80s BMX tricks
1,075 Posts
bigtrees said:
Paul, there are at least 3 jurisdictions at CC: the state park, city of san rafael, and then there's a park (county?) whose name escapes me.

Some of the trails are explicitly legal (e.g. gold hill fire road and trails in that park). Some are explicitly illegal (city of SR jurisdiction). Some are not marked in any way.

BTW the city of SR trail that is marked is officially closed, i.e. it's illegal for hikers too.

I suggest you hook up with some locals to learn your way around the backside.
does anybody know why there isn't a sign at the other end of that singletrack ?

·
(slight return)
2,138 Posts
Dan'ger said:
I think it's because the non-biking jurisdictators don't think we actually ride UP that trail!
Which is funny since if I was going to ride that trail I would ride it UP 95% of the time. ;)

-slide

·
Master of '80s BMX tricks
1,075 Posts
slide mon said:
Which is funny since if I was going to ride that trail I would ride it UP 95% of the time. ;)

-slide
I'll be sure to immediately stop riding that trail everytime i see it.
:p

So my partner and i were riding along the fireroad that links the 2 legs of singletrack back there when i lookked over the edge at a banged up old car that looks like is has been there foir forty years? anyone know the back story on it?
See picture at http://sports.ph.groups.yahoo.com/g...untain-Biking-Collective/photos/view/9a94?b=2

·
Coors, the american beer.
3,533 Posts
pretty much ... i think most people refer to that one as the "one way trail"

also some of the area is also water district land.

·
Registered
457 Posts
what trails?

The singletrack trails are not legal. I have been riding up there since I was a kid and those trails didn't exist untill around 1990ish when the first one popped up and subsequently the lower trail. Here is the good part, that part of Mount San Pedro is owned by the city of San Rafael, that means that regular cops are responsible for enforcement and they don't go up there. The other part as earlier stated is State Park and there are some portions owned by Marin Openspace District (no water district). Someone must have a hundred of those signs, they never last. As for the car, I agree, it's been up there forever and I don't know any history.
R

·
(slight return)
2,138 Posts
RJG said:
As for the car, I agree, it's been up there forever and I don't know any history.
R
I've come across 3 cars in the China Camp area. The one you're talking about, one near where Back Ranch FR pops up to the nike site, and another on the front side off the shoreline trail not too far from the camp sites. There are probably others, I tend not to look around too much when on the bike. I went up to the car on the front side, it had a college parking sticker on the bumper from 1972. Apparently back in the 60's/70's you could just drive up in there. An old timer up the street was telling me about the people who used to live in our house before we moved in. One of them used to drive a jeep up in the land that became the park. He'd bring friends up there 4-wheeling and shoot racoons.

I figure all those cars are either from teenagers stealing cars and pushing them off the road after a joyride. I've come across at least one on Tam and there are a couple wrecks down on Montara Mtn. The cars on Montara look alot older but I never scoped them out too closely.

-slide

·
Fart smeller
Tell us what parts you're using.
18,104 Posts
Aww, man, an old thread with bigtrees in it.

RIP, brother.

·
Registered
267 Posts
This cracks me up, and is like the fourth ancient thread that I've seen brought back from the dead today.

I remember reading this and worrying about riding there. Then I had my fork blow out on the single track just after I'd dropped down from the Nike site. As I was hiking back up the fire road, bruised and bloody, a SRPD officer was coming down. I panicked! But instead of giving me a ticket or even a lecture, he helped bandage me up, gave me a bottle of water and told me there was nothing to stress about with riding there. Made me laugh, despite the pain, at everybody thinking they were being so sly.

·
gimme friction
1,076 Posts
Business in front, party in the back. Miss those trails, need to make a point of getting down there to ride.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts