Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
7,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious what works best for most on 'chilly' days or a morning like this morning. I'm not talking "see your breath" freezing temps but just chilly with maybe a slight breeze.

Is it better to layer with a long sleeve shirt under a jersey or to wear a light windbreaker type jacket over the jersey?

My biggest problem is I sweat too much if I wear too much and the wet jersey makes me cold :)

ya , I know , buck up cupcake and just ride :)

Types of material to use / avoid?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Personally a longjohn top under a jersey or t-shirt works for me. I find that I try to push up the sleeves on looser-fitting clothing which proves distracting. And if it does get hot you still can push the sleeves up.

As for the legs, well, they take care of themselves...

·
Registered
589 Posts
I'm like you, sweat alot and then get cold. Also, wind breakers have never worked for me, I get too hot.

What's worked best for me is the under armour cold weather long sleeves, a jersey and a vest. UAs do a good job of wicking and keeping me warm. Vest does a good job of blocking the wind but doesn't make me too hot like a wind breaker does.

I also wear wool ski socks with my shorts. I like the socks opposed to tights or leg warmers because as it warms up I can just cuff them down and they don't bother me like leg warmers do. Come on you know you want to try to pull that look off! LOL

Tiff

·
Registered
81 Posts
tiffanyinanthem said:
I'm like you, sweat alot and then get cold. Also, wind breakers have never worked for me, I get too hot.

What's worked best for me is the under armour cold weather long sleeves, a jersey and a vest. UAs do a good job of wicking and keeping me warm. Vest does a good job of blocking the wind but doesn't make me too hot like a wind breaker does.

I also wear wool ski socks with my shorts. I like the socks opposed to tights or leg warmers because as it warms up I can just cuff them down and they don't bother me like leg warmers do. Come on you know you want to try to pull that look off! LOL

Tiff
Long john tops cost a fraction of what UA charges for their product and do almost as well, IMHO...

·
My other ride is your mom
5,442 Posts
cotton kills bud...or leaves you chilly at the least....so ditch the cotton and ditch the UA...go to Target and get their house brand...champion...way cheeper and it works just as well. I've been using it for years for ski base layers and chilly ride base layers.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Maadjurguer said:
cotton kills bud...or leaves you chilly at the least....so ditch the cotton and ditch the UA...go to Target and get their house brand...champion...way cheeper and it works just as well. I've been using it for years for ski base layers and chilly ride base layers.
To each his own, I guess. Cotton gets a bad rap because it tends to absorb moisture but I have not observed that riding with LJs in the cold.

·
Registered
280 Posts
champion is sold all over.. you can get it at sports authority too .. they sell ua too -- i own clothes from each and ua is definitely nice and fashionable hehe but champion get's the job done :) //g

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Phillbo said:
I'll check out the Target brand.... Who sells UA?
I know Sports Authority does. But man, it's hella expensive!

Are we talking commuting, or mt biking? I too sweat a lot. I also avoid riding when it's chilly, but sometimes it's unavoidable. I typically ride with a cycling jersey with arm warmers, and then a light windbreaker.

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
Maadjurguer said:
+1 for UA knockoffs. 1/3 the price and available anywhere - Target, Walmart, Sports Authority etc. $10-12 for short or long sleeves. Warmer, lighter, dry faster, pack up smaller so you dont mind carrying that extra shirt or not.

This winter I've had really good luck with a windbreaker vest and a spandex beenie for my head. For the weight, low-volume and almost total lack of moisture absorbing, they both add a lot of warmth and windbreak to whatever else I'm using. Also a big fan of ankle length wool socks. Arm warmers are also useful to have in your pack.

EDIT: Dammit! just realized i have regular socks for my NR tonight. brrr... knee pads should help.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just wear arm warmers with a regular jersey. I picked up a pair for $15 at REI and it was money well spent. Any sort of jacket will make me too warm once I've been riding for a few minutes but I find the arm warmers to be perfect.

·
Ridin bikes is fun
784 Posts
Maadjurguer said:
++++++:thumbsup: I bought two sets of the Target/Champion brand for like $30ea. I checked out UA and the Champion stuff is basically the same thing. The UA stuff may be a bit better as far as lasting longer due to the higher level of construction, but it will not keep you any warmer. The material wicks away the moisture so when you pick up speed the wetness is not next to your skin so you can stay warmer. I have an older similar set of Nike long under wear which cost over $100 for the set and it is no better. I ride 4 to 6 days a week between 6 am and 9 am. I wouldn't do it without this stuff, it also works great for Snowboarding.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.