Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
You might try looking for a Giant or Trek in <14" frame. Some, I don't know which brands, are as small as 12". The reason I'm saying this is most so called kids mountain bikes from major bike companies aren''t much better than Walmart junk. I got my boy a 24" Trek 220 last year. We were in a hurry and I bear the responsibility of not shopping around more but the bike is a freaking tank. It's like 34 lbs - stell all over the place. It's very cool looking but it's a poor choice for actual trail riding. Unfortunately, every other kid's mountain bike I've seen is almost identical. I'm reasonably certain they're all from the same OEM and only the paint and decals are changed.

I think Kona has something about their kid's bike being light. You might want to look at their website.

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts

·
Drinker w/ Riding Problem
5,326 Posts
Kona HULA

If she's nine a 20" Makena maybe too small...or will grow out of very soon! My son is eight he's been riding a HULA 24" since christmas. its lightweight and $320 range

Damn jim Big enough picture? :p

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Try out the specalized hot rock, my 8 year old son rides one it is a great bike alum. fram quick reales wheels water bottle mount 24 inch wheels and comes in diferent frame sizes we put to clips on it at first and now he is on egg beaters he also rides the new kids road bike from trek it is sweet , man i wish there was stuff like this when i was a kid.

·
Registered
56 Posts
imapodaddy said:
Looking for an inexpensive mtn bike for my daughter, 9years. I would like to get her something that will last. Any input?

RL
Check out the 24" wheeled Ibex 440k, it goes for $330. I bought my daughter an Ibex when she was 10 and it fit perfect. It is way lighter than the 20" wheel Specialized 6spd she was riding. She also immediately started enjoying trail riding and now finds the anything but singletrack "boring".

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ALP-440K-Details.html

·
\|/Home of the Braves\|/
1,926 Posts
Another Specialized owner - a 20" for my nearly 7 year old son. I don't know if this is a tip or I got lucky - Check out used bikes at your LBS. I saved some $.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
tlg said:
If she's 9, nothing will last. She'll outgrow it quickly.
Quite right and don't make the mistake of buying a frame that's too big for her, hoping she'll grow into it. It'll only put her off riding.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.