Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads up to anyone who wants to follow my progress vicariously via Spot GPS. Next Saturday I hope to head up to the Chilcotins for another attempt to get over to the Lord River. I'm a bit obsessed and have failed twice but this time I am taking a better, partially previously travelled route that I'm sure will get me over. Here is a map of my planned path. The road ends where the red line begins.

Red Colorfulness Geological phenomenon World Map

Previously I was hiking up to the end of the little valley from that point which was too difficult. It is not possible to hike up the hills on the west side of that valley; they are too steep. Previously I wanted to go westwards when I got up to the alpine but it is too difficult to go up this valley. Instead I will head straight up to the east from the end of the road. It is a 300m hike up to the alpine where you emerge near a beautiful lake and rideable alpine. The hoodoos in that gully just to the north of where you hike up the sidehilll are really neat. I'd hike straight up the forest to the right of this gully and emerge at that alpine.

Mountainous landforms Tree Outcrop Mountain Bedrock

Here is a trip report from some hikers who went up there.

I'll go along to Griswold Pass and then part ways with the previous trip's route and go over the glaciers into that little valley that heads northwards. I'll probably stay on the west side of the valley high up the sides to avoid brushy areas down at the bottom, who knows I guess I'll assess when I get there. The tricky part may be the last couple km as there doesn't appear to be any meadows and I'll have to bushwhack through pine forest down to the Lord River. At least it's downhill. That river enters the Lord Valley via a huge waterfall.

Mountainous landforms Highland Slope Mountain range Hill

And on the other side of the valley another river enters via another waterfall so that should be a pretty noisy place! Might not want to camp there as I don't like noise since it hides the noises of the animals creeping up on you at night. There will probably be grizzlies and maybe moose too down in this broad river valley.

Mountainous landforms Mountain range Slope Mountain Highland

From here I'll packraft down the river and smaller lakes until I get to Taseko Lake, where I plan to then head back to Gold Bridge via Warner Pass. Hopefully the area will still be open in a week, with the wildfires and drought I fear they may shut down the forests. And it will be interesting if there is a fire in the area, that may affect my route! I'll post some more info over the next few days as I get sorted out.

·
Tear it all out!
7,739 Posts
The tricky part may be the last couple km as there doesn't appear to be any meadows and I'll have to bushwhack through pine forest down to the Lord River. At least it's downhill.
Don't underestimate how difficult that bushwack might be with a bike loaded with bike packing gear.

We just did something similar and it took 3 of us working ~20 hours over 2 days to drop 2km from the sub-alpine down to an old cut block. This was with 1 small, 1 medium, 1 large hand saws & a chainsaw.

Our forward progress averaged out at ~0.1km/h ....
And that was using animal trails and meadows where we could.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You had bikes? Those hikers I linked above had a rough time even without bikes, in the next valley to the north so presumably it's similar. It looks like there are drier bluffs I might be able to use. At least I'll be able to see and hear my destination down below, once I get to the river I'll be home free. I was thinking of hiking instead of biking but that would be a loooong hike back to Gold Bridge.

·
Tear it all out!
7,739 Posts
We had bikes. We were just outside of the S. Chilcotin park.

The current map for the area doesn't show a trail, but an old map from 1994 does. It is wrong, there is no trail in that drainage.

I haven't read the hiker link you posted yet.

·
Registered
122 Posts
It will be great to follow your spot points Mark. I attempted to hike to Griswold pass with my friend Klaus Haring through Slim Creek but at the end he didn't feel well so we decided to go back to Gun Creek. We then climbed Mt. *****on there and hiked to Spruce lake. I want to bike there one day. You have a great plan and there will be challenges. Alpine club of Canada, Vancouver Island section had mountaineering camp there last summer

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey all, just got to Gold Bridge and actually ate till I was full! That was quite a trip. Couldn't make it over the glacier to that other river I wanted to go down, a bit too much for the bike, plus I had my dog and her paws were getting raw. So I followed the previous route down Duane Creek. It's not really ideal to bring bikes over there but otherwise I don't know how to get out unless you arrange a pickup at Taseko.

Memorable parts of the trip, good and bad:
- beautiful alpine meadows above the end of the road
- Griswold pass and glacier are scenic although difficult to pull a bike through.
- pack rafting 4 km of Duane creek meadows with the dog. She jumped out once but had her pfd on
- a 2 hour standoff with a grizzly that night who wanted passage through our camp.
- bush whacking the last bit of snarl of Duane creek was nasty though not as extensive as I was expecting. At one point I decided to leave the bike and come back the next day to pick it up only to find that 50 feet later was the end of it!
- 2 nights at Crystal lake camp all by myself and my dog, serenaded by a loon.
- first person up the Taseko road/trail this year with a lot of deadfall to deal with
- nice ascent over Warner Pass
- woke up to snow and rain the next morning at Warner lake, luckily I got over the pass when I did
- cold and wet and hungry few days down to slim creek road. Totally beat and empty. I think I was on major calorie deficit despite eating lots. Need to rethink how I do food on these trips
- pulled in to town today and ate half the store
- still have to get the 4runner from 50 km up the road, hope to get a ride most of the way today since I am destroyed and have to be back to work on Thursday.

Kind of bummed about not going down the drainage I wanted. But at least I got up there and checked it out. That lord river is an elusive one. Will try again, but I want to go with others next time. And will ride north from Taseko, not interested in doing Warner pass again. Maybe won't bring bikes next time, just the pack rafts.

Lots more to see in the report!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.