Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I was wondering how many of you Chilco soon to be owners are going with an angle reducer headset. With the adjustable HS angle on the bike of 67 and 66 degree, is an angle reducer set overkill?
I have a CC angle reducer HS kit in box waiting and was thinking if the 1.5 was too much. It is an internal bottom cup, not external, so that should offset the potential drop in angle. I want a new fork 170mm and do to this HS, I have to limit my purchase to a straight 1 1/8 steerer tube fork. Not many straight 1 1/8 Lyriks 170s or Fox 180s out there not in tapered or 1.5.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Personally I'm going with a Lyrik 170 with 1 1/8 steerer and a zero stack headset. I figured this would keep the geo at Knolly specs and with the angle adjustment feature on the frame there was no need to do a angleset.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Personally I'm going with a Lyrik 170 with 1 1/8 steerer and a zero stack headset.
+1, I'm doing the same.

The zerostack is nice b/c you can run a slightly longer fork without affecting the geo like mentioned. One of the huge advantages of this frame IMHO.

I just read a thread a few days ago on the angleset and all the problems they are having with them, to the point where people are pulling them out and replacing them with standard ones. Just FYI.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
'09 Fox 36 talas 1 1/8th steerer tube.
Cane Creek 1.5 XX II headset (now called the 40 series?).

I can't see myself needing a slacker trail bike than 66 degrees. My current rig is roughly 68 and I make do with that.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I would like to stick with Chris King, since not only are they excellent products, but I would like to have the option to switch out forks.

Does anyone know what the internal measurements of the Chilcotin headtube will be. I would like to go with the 'InSet' headset, for reasons noted above. (thinking about running a 180mm fork, with zero stack...perhaps with a 10mm reducer if needed. I have the Float 180 fork already.)

Here is a tech document from Chris King on their InSet 4 headset, and the possibilities.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
I would like to stick with Chris King, since not only are they excellent products, but I would like to have the option to switch out forks.

Does anyone know what the internal measurements of the Chilcotin headtube will be. I would like to go with the 'InSet' headset, for reasons noted above. (thinking about running a 180mm fork, with zero stack...perhaps with a 10mm reducer if needed. I have the Float 180 fork already.)

Here is a tech document from Chris King on their InSet 4 headset, and the possibilities.
The Chilcotin has a standard 49mm internal diameter, so the inset4 will be fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts