Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, without selling a kidney, i was wondering whether i could get a Chilcotin build down to the 28lbs maximum mark. I run a Bos Deville 160mm on my existing bike (Tracer) and the current build is 31lbs with Panaracer CG tyres, hope hubbed ed stan's; xt and saint drivetrain, avid brakes, easton post, thomson stem and sunline bars...living in the UK, the downhills ar etoo short to warrant a 31lbs bike.

cheers

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Sounds like you need an Endo. I think the lightest Chili someone posted here was around 29.5 IIRC. Most are more round the 32 mark, give or take 1/2 pound.

·
Just roll it......
7,619 Posts
I think your first sentence of not having to sell a kidney says it all. :)

Honestly, mine is at 33 lbs. and without going carbon hoops, bars, etc., there's not much I'd change to reduce the weight. Of course, I could go with stupid light tires, but at the cost of either rolling tires or pinch flatting every ride. Mine also does double duty with xc and light dh/freeride'ish type of riding.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
What fork? If it's a Fox Float, you could always space it down to 150 or 140 I think.

But honestly, a 28 pound Chili will spell one of two things: 1) a huge amount of money, or 2) should have built up an Endo. I think a 28 lb Chili build would be compromising and limiting the type of riding the Chili is destined for.

·
Dr. Pepper drinker
1,625 Posts
Is the Deville internally adjustable? Running it down at 140 or 150 wouldn't be all that bad on the Endorphin, the stiffness of a bigger fork will match the rest of the frame well.

·
Buehliever
860 Posts
You're not thinking outside of the box... it doesn't have to be your kidney that you sell! :devil:

Seriously, to get a Chili to that weight: you need to build the bike up with XC wheels & components, which is shame to do to the Chili, or you need to spend until it hurts and then spend some more. Think http://www.enve.com/wheels/mtb/twenty6AM.aspx :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
I have a deville and a zoke 55 on my chilcotin and an 1x10 with X9 and XT drivetrain plus carbon bars. Flow rims and rubber queen 2.4s. With the devilles it right around 31 lbs. So I would say 28lbs is impossible.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
hi fatwheeled

my xl was at 31.5 lbs originally fitted with devilles, saint 2 x 9, flows and barrons. probably could save 1 lb going to e13 trs 1 x 10 and another 0.5 lb going carbon wheels and bars. so 30lb is about the lightest you could expect. but why bother unless it's for a performance gain as well (like 1 x 11 for example)? i'm at 34 lbs right now and really enjoying it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My current all mountain bike is made up of odds and sods left over over the years hence the build on it. Love the deville 160 but heard it might be too big a fork for an endo. U can't reduce it internally. But also i like 160 out front. Am currently going thru a divorce so no cash for shiny new kit. But feel like a change from the tracer and always liked knollys.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I agree, if you want a 28lb bike I think the Chili is the wrong frame. Mine is 32 1/2 lbs and I built it very strong and about as lite as I could.
The only things I could have save weight on are the tires (very heavy tires) and seat post.

Photobucket

·
sapienti sat est
262 Posts
Guys, stop being weight weenies... It's not road bike forum :)
You can't eat your cake and have it too, i.e. built exceptionally well performing All Mountain bike that is extremely light at the same time. Besides, what's the point? Thanks to weight weenies the bike industry went the wrong way and now we have more and more light yet crappier frames that break and crack after a season of riding. I'd rather have a burlier and heavier bike that can haul my ass for couple of years with no issues. But then I wouldn't have fun building new bike every other year - vicious circle :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
I agree, if you want a 28lb bike I think the Chili is the wrong frame. Mine is 32 1/2 lbs and I built it very strong and about as lite as I could.
The only things I could have save weight on are the tires (very heavy tires) and seat post.

Photobucket
Nice build what wheels are they? How do they compare to flows in terms of weight and strength?

·
Registered
253 Posts
they are enve carbon rims. lighter than flows and much stronger and also wayyyyyyyy more expensive. pretty much the blingest rims out there as well as the strongest and lightest as well.
Wow cool they look awesome.

I can't get my head around how carbon wheels are stronger?

I got carbon joystick bars and carbon sixc cranks and i love them. Maybe those wheels one day

·
Ride Hard. Go Fast.
258 Posts
So I sold a kidney and almost got a size small down to 28. I got er down to 28lbs 10oz. Some Enve wheels would probably do it but I won't be alive to ride it since I'd need to sell off the other kidney to get those hoops.

here, I'm enjoying a leisurely climb up this steep rock while my buddy's 32.5 lb delirium had to hike a bike :thumbsup:

edit: 28 lbs is doable, but i'm planning on a reverb or KS dropper and a MRP 2x guide. Tack on at at least 2 lbs for that.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Sub 29 should be doable

Mine was 29 lb 11oz for a Large, but I immediately added a Reverb post to bring it up to over 30 lbs
http://forums.mtbr.com/knolly/29lb-chilcotin-large-db-air-float-160mm-786423.html

A lighter rear shock, ENVE wheelset, and saddle would get you most of the way there. You would be hard pressed to shave more grams though. A few grams off the headset (I almost went with the CC 110). Stupid light seat clamp. Bling Sapim spokes. You are really shaving grams there. You could do a 140 or 150mm float fork...all that would get you under 29 I think.

But why? The only real upgrade to my personal ride would be the ENVE wheelset (but that wont happen until I have a Podium in the quiver).

As others have posted, I think a 31-33lb build is ideal for this frame.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.