Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was searching for Chikamin on the Evergreen trails site, it seems to me missing along with Minnow Ridge, Lower Chiwawa, etc. I was able to find it on Trailforks but seems to be closed due to fire danger of last year which hopefully did not destroy the trails. Does anybody know the status of these trails?

Best I could find:
https://www.trailforks.com/trails/chikamin-tie-trail-1561/

·
I should be out riding
1,866 Posts
Here's some info(though not much) - this list needs some serious updating...
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/okawen/alerts-notices/?cid=stelprdb5414524

Unless they have changed things - a lot of those trails around Chikamim are under seasonal closures to horses and wheeled vehicles(includes bikes) until the FS decides they are dry enough to take traffic(usually around 2nd week in July)
Those are the higher trails though, which likely still have snow anyway. The lower Minnow Ridge/Chickamin Creek loop is not subject to the seasonal closure and is a nice early season ride.

Ken, does the Evergreen site still have trail info? IMO its been eclipsed by TF a long time ago. Anymore I check the calendar a couple times a year and that it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ken, does the Evergreen site still have trail info? IMO its been eclipsed by TF a long time ago. Anymore I check the calendar a couple times a year and that it.
No, the nearest trail on Evergreen trails is Mad River but that's literally the opposite side of the mountain. Not sure why all of the trails near Plain / Lake Wenatchee are gone. I'm also seeing the St Helens trails seem to have been aggregated from how I last remember. I agree, TF is great and even preferable to have a unified source of information, although in this particular case the information for Chikamin on TF is outdated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Seasonal closure usually lifts in early to mid-July. The trails were closed because of a nearby fire last summer and fall, but the fire did not ultimately reach the trails. So, aside from the usual winter messes to clean up, they should be open again in a month or so. Like ACree says, they'll be great right when the seasonal closure lifts. Then they'll get blown out for most of August and September... until late fall when they get downright spectacular.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Totally agree with kelito's take on when to ride it. I shouldn't be antsy for it, I can wait. Besides, early season has mosquitoes and especially I remember humidity in lower Chiwawa (not sure if that was cause of overgrowth). At any rate, late season is the best.

·
Registered
45 Posts
What are some favorite routes in the area? I'd like to get over there more but have only ridden Chickamin Tie/Upper Chick Tie up to Mad River and also Basalt.

The full Alder Ridge descent looks tasty, at least on a topo map it does.

·
EMBA Member
201 Posts
What are some favorite routes in the area? I'd like to get over there more but have only ridden Chickamin Tie/Upper Chick Tie up to Mad River and also Basalt.

Clinton - The Alder descent is fun, there's a tiny bit of climbing from Mad Lake...here's a ride from 2015 - https://www.strava.com/activities/337797346

Klone Peak is another spur that's fun with great views - https://www.strava.com/activities/684471387

The challenge now is getting in after it's open and before the smoke returns.

Let's keep in touch on these, I can't keep up with you, but we can jump in the lake at my parents place.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
The road up To Basalt Ridge and to Chikamin tie was getting so overgrown that it made it difficult to access those higher routes like Klone Peak and Mad Lake from the Chikamin side. YOu can always ride up road but not the best way to go especially if you're doing something big like Garland. Climbing up Alder Ridge works as well but you're gonna be pretty gassed by Mad Lake, doubtful you'll make it to Klone from that direction. CAn you imagine, a trail work party to trim back the forest road ? My old truck I might try it but no way I'm scratching up my new beauty !

·
Registered
45 Posts
YOu can always ride up road but not the best way to go especially if you're doing something big like Garland.
Ah it's a great loop from Finner Creek - up the road and Chick tie, quick 20 minute coast right across the Garland goat path and down Basalt - not a single pedal stroke or dismount and 7,000 of vert - all the way back to the Finner TH. Back to Seattle before dinner. :)

·
I should be out riding
1,866 Posts

Early season, up Minnow Ridge, return by Chickamin Creek, is a nice little loop. Later on, there are so many options. Everything over there is condition dependent. Alder Ridge is a very direct route up, personally I'd rather descend Chick Tie though, mostly due to scenery and variety. A few routes I've done over the years:

Alder ridge to Mad Lake out and back

Upper Chick tie TH to Klone Peak, two little lakes, Mad River trail, back via Chick tie

Borneo's classic Fall 5000: a loop involving Maverick saddle, Mad River trail to Mad lake, Chick tie, Minnow Ridge, and theoretically (because every time I've tried, by this point it was dark and we finished on the road), lower chiwawa to whereever you started.

Alder ridge to mad river trail to lost lake and back on mad river.

From Maverick Saddle, up mad river, up Jimmy Creek to Cougar mountain, then to Klone via Hunters, Middle Tommy and blue creek, and back via mad river.

If you're Igor, any of the routes to Klone, then do the middle tommy descent to the entiat side and come back up north tommy.

IMO, the best way to make loops up there is to look for lesser used trails. Mad River just gets pounded from motos and Alder Ridge almost as much. They turn into dusty, whooped out trenches by late summer. Hitting the area after some precip and avoiding the heaviest use trails makes the experience a lot better.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Alder ridge to mad river trail to lost lake and back on mad river.
ACree is blocking the memory from his mind, but the year we went up Alder, up Mad Lake, then up/down Chicamin, Minnow, and Chiwawa was one of my favorite routes. Right before (or during in our case) the snows would be the time to hit that route for all the aforementioned reasons.

·
EMBA Member
201 Posts
You three are psychos, I don't climb that stuff, we shuttle to the top of Tie as it's still a tough climb from there for me. I've hike a biked up Tie once and did the road once, I just don't have the legs to do a full loop.

If I have my Subaru it mostly gets past the overgrowth at the end of the road. My other car is old enough I don't care too much. I've also always been able to get someone to drive so we're not having to go back and get a car.

I've only ever done Klone or ML/Alder from the Chikamin end since there are rarely any motos that way. I've gone down to Maverick Saddle once and it was when the FS was redoing the trail so it was 6" of moon dust and sucked.

I tried going up Basalt last summer on a recon from Rock Creek and there are a ****-load of blow downs. I only went about 2.5 miles. I was close to Rock Creek Tie, but the bugs were bad, that was early July.

·
I should be out riding
1,866 Posts
ACree is blocking the memory from his mind, but the year we went up Alder, up Mad Lake, then up/down Chicamin, Minnow, and Chiwawa was one of my favorite routes. Right before (or during in our case) the snows would be the time to hit that route for all the aforementioned reasons.
I think I covered that with 'Alder is a direct route in, but I'd rather descend Chick Tie'.

Your thoughts on a mid-ride snow storm are immortalized here http://instagr.am/p/BZu6D5tAFk9/
Pics here http://instagr.am/p/BZwjgP3gHUu/ and here http://instagr.am/p/BZujPUAAQU5/

·
I should be out riding
1,866 Posts
Oddly enough, the more you climb that stuff, the more you're able to climb that stuff.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Oddly enough, the more you climb that stuff, the more you're able to climb that stuff.
Remember the scene in Animal House when Otter smokes weed and his professor Donald Sutherland explains how our whole universe could be a cell in the fingernail of some cosmic entity, or that that the cells in his fingernails could each be its own self contained universe and he's all like "Whoooooaaaaaaa..................."

That's how I felt after reading that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The road up To Basalt Ridge and to Chikamin tie was getting so overgrown that it made it difficult to access those higher routes like Klone Peak and Mad Lake from the Chikamin side.
I remembered this discussion and figured I would come back here and say that this road is now brushed out. Maybe done in the late Fall? Anyway - TF status is updated.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.