Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a little bit here I'll be makin' another wheelset and was wonderin' what rubber you'd wrap them with?
something in a 2.35 up front...and whatever in the rear (2.1-2.35)
thanks...
Let 'em ROLL!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I love my 2.4 Mutano Raptor up front. Grippy on the rocks, carves well, brakes fine, no flats after 4 months with tubeless, wearing fine, super light (600gish) and rolls real quick.

Friend has Minion DHF (or DHR I dunno) 2.35, heavier but he loves it. I rode it and its not quick rolling, you can really feel it going up, but it grips very nice and he has had it for a year and its still atleast 80% tread left.

·
Coors, the american beer.
3,533 Posts
seems like wtb mutano raptors or kinetics are usually my play .... however i noticed that whatever you get you want something with a lot of knobs and a sticky tread, and expect to wear em out often if you ride a lot when i lived in chico i killed a tire every 4 months or so by it either balding or cutting a sidewall.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Melt said:
seems like wtb mutano raptors or kinetics are usually my play .... however i noticed that whatever you get you want something with a lot of knobs and a sticky tread, and expect to wear em out often if you ride a lot when i lived in chico i killed a tire every 4 months or so by it either balding or cutting a sidewall.
Melt, you destroy tires because you're 6'5" and rip up the DH :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Rampage for me. Grippy enough for my needs, not too heavy, and plenty durable. I have been using one on the front of my 29er since June, including riding to and from the park each time, and I still have close to 75% tread left. No cuts either. I loved the Rampage on my 26" bike as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
tire choices

11 years there:
26 inch had mutanoraptors in 2.4 for front
rear recently had Advantage in a 2.2 for the rear.

29er usually sported nano raptors front and rear but occasionally a blend or crossmax or specialized lts.

love the rocks!

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool guys! thanks :) looks like a few votes for the mutano's ..I'll pick up a set of those to check out...
Keep 'em comin' :thumbsup:

have any of you had the Panaracer Fires? the tread and specs look decent, but I'm askin about the option for the red sidewalls...they kind of intrigue me since I have some other red bits on my bike.
But is it TOO much? too gaudy?
-THX!

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
highdelll said:
Cool guys! thanks :) looks like a few votes for the mutano's ..I'll pick up a set of those to check out...
Keep 'em comin' :thumbsup:

have any of you had the Panaracer Fires? the tread and specs look decent, but I'm askin about the option for the red sidewalls...they kind of intrigue me since I have some other red bits on my bike.
But is it TOO much? too gaudy?
-THX!
My friend has those and I think they look nice. The red is not gaudy, especially with some Bidwell dust covering the tire. They also look really tough mounted on a wider rim

·
One life, One boss
107 Posts
Wtb

2.5 Weir Wolf up Front
2.4 Moto in the Rear.

WTB stopped making the 2.4 so I stocked up a bit. Been riding this combo for a long time now. Really like it. I tried the Mutano in the rear and it felt like it always wanted to slid out, didn't like it so I swiched back.

However, I run these tubeless w/ Stans and the front WW keeps on getting rips on the side walls with all of the lava rocks, so I am considering switching this season. Gone throught three last season with the green line still not worn off. Suckers are expensive.

Anyone ride Schwalbes? Thinking about the Big betty up front, Fat Albert in the rear, yo. Expensive tires though, then again ain't it all.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
aka AK said:
... Gone throught three last season with the green line still not worn off. Suckers are expensive.
Tell me about it! - that exactly the purpose of this post. When I had my toyota corolla, I could get tires for the same price as MTB tires :eek: (my big 4runner tires are another story :rolleyes: ) You can spend as much for tires at Cyclesport as you do at Les Schwab!
although the tires from C-S tend to be a bit lighter:p

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
aka AK said:
2.5 Weir Wolf up Front
2.4 Moto in the Rear.

WTB stopped making the 2.4 so I stocked up a bit. Been riding this combo for a long time now. Really like it. I tried the Mutano in the rear and it felt like it always wanted to slid out, didn't like it so I swiched back.

However, I run these tubeless w/ Stans and the front WW keeps on getting rips on the side walls with all of the lava rocks, so I am considering switching this season. Gone throught three last season with the green line still not worn off. Suckers are expensive.

Anyone ride Schwalbes? Thinking about the Big betty up front, Fat Albert in the rear, yo. Expensive tires though, then again ain't it all.
Were you running 2.4 Mutano? 2.24 are a different pattern and better for the back, the 2.4s don't look like a good rear tire

·
3,533 Posts
highdelll said:
Tell me about it! - that exactly the purpose of this post. When I had my toyota corolla, I could get tires for the same price as MTB tires :eek: (my big 4runner tires are another story :rolleyes: ) You can spend as much for tires at Cyclesport as you do at Les Schwab!
although the tires from C-S tend to be a bit lighter:p
please tell me you arent still shopping at cyclesport given recent disc golf events

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Melt said:
please tell me you arent still shopping at cyclesport given recent disc golf events
No, I used cyclesport as an example (although, the owner( mike?) gave me tubes for my "Bidwell Rally" race for prizes) I shop online (you know that dude :) )
North Rim is where i go usually for odds and ends.....but that's besides the point..

what am I missin about C-S?... I know Campus is puss but---?

·
Busted!!!
472 Posts
Before anyone starts getting down on local bike shops I think you shold approach the owners and get an actual account of what their take is on whatever situation you are riled up about. Its the only way you will get the whole straight story. You will be suprised and embarassed after you get all the info.

Remember, Chico is alot smaller than you think. Its pretty tight knit and all this BS can/will come back to bite you.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
mxracer33x said:
Before anyone starts getting down on local bike shops I think you shold approach the owners and get an actual account of what their take is on whatever situation you are riled up about. Its the only way you will get the whole straight story. You will be suprised and embarassed after you get all the info.

Remember, Chico is alot smaller than you think. Its pretty tight knit and all this BS can/will come back to bite you.
Thanks for being a voice of reason

·
Registered
126 Posts
As Renovatio already stated, I run a 2.35 Minion DHF up front. There are times where it feels like I'm pedaling with a magical anchor attached, but I still like the Minion. They are a good multi-purpose tire. Their grip is predictable, handle loose pretty well, do an alright job of shedding mud if your moving at a decent pace. Wear wise, they look good, but part of that is because I have it up front.

I have also used a Maxxis Ignitor both front and rear. As a front tire, it is much faster rolling than the Minion, but the lack of large knobs hinder the tire on the loose stuff that you will encounter in Bidwell, harder pack it does fine. As rear tire it grips and rolls and well, but it is poor at clearing mud, if you run in it.

·
3,533 Posts
highdelll said:
No, I used cyclesport as an example (although, the owner( mike?) gave me tubes for my "Bidwell Rally" race for prizes) I shop online (you know that dude :) )
North Rim is where i go usually for odds and ends.....but that's besides the point..

what am I missin about C-S?... I know Campus is puss but---?
my bad i got the two shops confused ... cuclesport is ok ... campus is where you dont wanna go

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.