Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm consuming the Pivot coolaid and am thinking about picking one up for my wife. She's 5'6.5" and probably rides at about 125lbs with gear. I know there is a lady's version of the Mach 4 but all else being equal, I think she would enjoy the stability of the 429. Can she get away with a small 429, with paticular focus on the geometry and her weight in setting the suspension?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I think she'd be fine. Measure her inseam to confirm standover clearance is okay and compare ETT of her current ride. Keep in mind ST/HT angles ultimately have an impact on the length of the cockpit. Look at teh difference in degrees between what she's riding now and the pivot. 71/73 , 72/75, 70/73, etc.

If she's like most woman she'll have longer legs relative to her torso compared to a man. This will translate to a the need for a slightly shorter cockpit and in this case, shorter stem). If she has to run a 70mm or the like she might be more comfortable with a 120mm for slacken the angles and slow the steering a little bit.

I sized up to a medium on my 429, threw a 120mm fork and a 70mm stem. handling is fine, standover is fine, knops is fine adn i have no issues with a "lofty" front wheel.

I'd say go for it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm 5''7.5" with a 30 inch inseam and have absolutely no issues with fit on a small 429. I'm running a 90 mm stem with a riser bar and a no offset seatpost with fore-aft adjustment left in the saddle. It's the best fitting 29r that I've ridden (spider and evolve). The seat to handlebar height relation is also very close to my 26 inch ride. She should fit well as long as she doesn't have any odd proportions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.