Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,

I started riding in 98 on a GT Timberline FS, a year later I bought a Trek Fuel 90. I rode this bike for about two years doing everything from technical single track to jumping up to 15 stairs and 20 foot doubles before switching over to motocross. (riding my trek today I can barely believe my bike held up to all the abuse, but then again I only weighed about 115lbs back then) I'll now be going to Arizona State University next year and can only really bring my Trek Fuel, taking a look at where I'm going and what I want to do with my bike leaves me with two options. 1) upgrade my bike so it can take the cactus and abuse from me or 2) upgrade my bike so it can take the cactus and ill just have to be nice to my bike till I can afford a new one. Currently the only upgrade I've done on my bike swapping in a Shimano xt hallowtech crankset. I know I need new grips, brake pads (assuming I don't upgrade to discs), tires (which brings me to whether I should upgrade to a ust system, if so are there any ust rims I could fit on my current Rolf set up, 20/24 spokes if I remember right). I think I could handle AZ. with those upgrades, but if I want to make my bike a bit more bomb proof I would need a new fork to replace the Man. sx-r I have on it now. Now as you read above I'm going to ASU, therefore I want to make sure my money is spent wisely on upgrades, nothing more than I need. Any advice on upgrades would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, later.

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
i have ridden phoenix trails my whole life and i had a man sx-r on my i-drive. definately replace that, way to flexy for our desert rocks. i would suggest getting a trail bike like a heckler or asx. just something a little beefier with more travel. cause even our xc trails are brutal on most rides. i would strongly suggest getting a new bike.

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
College ?!?!?!?!?!?!

cdub said:
i have ridden phoenix trails my whole life and i had a man sx-r on my i-drive. definately replace that, way to flexy for our desert rocks. i would suggest getting a trail bike like a heckler or asx. just something a little beefier with more travel. cause even our xc trails are brutal on most rides. i would strongly suggest getting a new bike.
Dude the kid is going to college. Not exactly a time for extra $$$ laying around to replace a perfectly good Fuel.

UST rims might be too expensive when Stan's No Tubes might work just as well. You can also run thorn-resistant thubes (thicker) and slime them up. You can also run Slime Tire liners. Any of these will add weight, but your super lightweight Fuel frame should offset this ;-)

You may want to get a rock-ring. I assume you'll be riding your bike around campus, thus you'll want to keep your big ring. The Salsa or Blackspire big ring gaurds would help (especially the Salsa since it has "teeth").

Unless you'll be doing major downhills, you don't need a disc brake upgrade at this time. But if the folks will pay for it, a pair of Avid BB7s wouldn't hurt ;-) But you'll probably need a wheel upgrade along with that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
willtsmith_nwi said:
Dude the kid is going to college. Not exactly a time for extra $$$ laying around to replace a perfectly good Fuel.

UST rims might be too expensive when Stan's No Tubes might work just as well. You can also run thorn-resistant thubes (thicker) and slime them up. You can also run Slime Tire liners. Any of these will add weight, but your super lightweight Fuel frame should offset this ;-)

You may want to get a rock-ring. I assume you'll be riding your bike around campus, thus you'll want to keep your big ring. The Salsa or Blackspire big ring gaurds would help (especially the Salsa since it has "teeth").

Unless you'll be doing major downhills, you don't need a disc brake upgrade at this time. But if the folks will pay for it, a pair of Avid BB7s wouldn't hurt ;-) But you'll probably need a wheel upgrade along with that.
Thanks for the responses. As I was looking around this site, I'm almost convinced on selling my motocross bike so I can get a new bike. I'm 6'1 @ 170lbs; I've heard the heckler can be a bit cramped in the cockpit. In my dream world right now - is the asx the best bang for the buck do-it-all bike? Would it be better to just get a nice wheel set for my fuel, then later on get the asx frame and swap parts with my fuel? Where is the cheapest place to pick up parts online (I don't trust evil bay to much, maybe it's because half the time I feel like I'm buying someone stolen property) any more comments would be well appreciated. thanks

btw - I found a 03 asx for $1750 on ebay, seems good condition...should I go for it? I just don't want to make an impulse buy/don't trust ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=98083&item=7153858599&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.