Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am traveling to Chicago in 2 weeks and am looking for a spot to ride and a bike shop that has rentals. I have read some about Deer groove, and Palos park but would like some info from someone you has been there or lives there. I am staying downtown, I do have a car and some time to try and get out.

What is closest to down town?
Is there a local shop that rents or has a demo?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Not sure which is closer to downtown. Palos is near where I294 and I55 cross, and Deer Grove is near 14 and Dundee Rd in Palatine. Looking at a map, Palos would be closer/easier to get to. As for bike shops that have rentals/demos, the only places I know of only rent hybrids/path bikes. Richard's Bikes (http://rbikes.com/index.cfm) is fairly close to Palos, and sells lots of good stuff, so they may have something available. What about seeing if you can ship your bike to them and then ship it home again when you're done (worst case scenario)?

Enjoy your trip!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Rentals and Palos

I'm from out of town too (used to live here downtown chicago). I was browsing at Erik's Bike shop (Harrison St.). They have the stumpjumper expert (large frame) they rent for $100.00 for 2 days. Shimano SPD pedal so all you have to do is bring your clipless bike shoes. I brought my bike and drove to Palos Trails. Take I 55 south from the Chinatown area. From Downtown just go south Clark St. and turn right to Cermak then left to I-55 entry way right underneath the Redline over pass. Go south and exit La Grange road south. Either you continue La Grange road and turn right on 95th st. and go all the way to Maple Grove forest preserve. As instructed from CAMBR website the staging area is at the 3 rd parking lot. You may elect to turn right to archer ave then left to 95th st. That area though is a little congested for me. Anyway you'll get there either way, my take is to get you there the quickest time. Have fun...
As for me I'll be driving back to my old and reliable Hartley Nature Center in Duluth.
Post back if you did have too much fun. The weather seems to be going to be clear for this weekend here and in Duluth MN.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the imput, Palos is where I will try since it does seem closer and with limited time I should be able to make it out there. I will try and contact Erik's bike shop.

·
Yay! Bikes !
1,761 Posts
bigdibbs said:
Thanks for the imput, Palos is where I will try since it does seem closer and with limited time I should be able to make it out there. I will try and contact Erik's bike shop.
What size bike will you need? I may have a bike I can lend you and since I'm frequently riding at Palos I could show you around (depending on your schedule of course)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Midwestern hospitality

So bigdibs, there you go. Chicago is still considered the city of big shoulders. Bike ready to be lent for you.
Anyway should weather not cooperate which I hope the worse will not happen, the alternate is Waterfal Glen which is a fire road type trail/XC ski (for winter). This is a long limestone gravel fire road. The exit is Cass avenue south and right at the exit turn right to the trail head. The trail had been (is) my first off road bike since I started this sport.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nick. said:
What size bike will you need? I may have a bike I can lend you and since I'm frequently riding at Palos I could show you around (depending on your schedule of course)
As big as they come, I am 6'9" my bikes are 22", but I can't always be picky. That is a great offer.:thumbsup:

What about Recycle bikes, I saw a website that said they rent during the summer.

My schedule is really tight I am only there for a couple of days, I fly in on Sunday at 2 pm so I was hoping to try and set something up for that afternoon/evening. Then again Monday after the meetings are over. All dependant on weather, tough I am from the great Northwest where rain and mud are the norm.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Riding muddy trails is generally frowned upon around here. It's certainly fun, but chews up the trails for other users. Hopefully the weather cooperates though, Palos is fun, enjoy yourself!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Recycle Bikes

I bought my diamond back hard tail there once and that was the bike I used to ride Waterfal Glen. I am not sure about their rental. As of the last time they do carry the Diamond Back. The location of the store is South Michigan Avenue, I believe around 16th or 17th St. It is on the east side so if going South it will be to the left side. Do not be concerned of the South Michigan, it is still in a good area of Chicago. As I said above should the weather not cooperate (24 hours after a big rain) your alternative is Waterfal Glen. Exit Cass Ave south.
JD

·
Registered
928 Posts
If you get a bike and want to ride

Send me a message and we can hook up at Palos. Hopefully it'll be one of the nights or days I can bargain to get away from the family. Sorry I can't loan a bike, but everyone I ride with is in the shorter 150 lb range. Palos is pretty good and you'll enjoy it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Downtown

I made to Chicago, though did not hit any trails. Rented a "Mountain bike:thumbsup: " from Bike Chicago at the Navy Pier and took off following the sound of Music. That lead me to the Taste of Chicago where I enjoyed some sauted goat, garlic plantains, cocanut shrip, and a few beers for the 3 hour ride ahead:) . I then traveled North I think where I caught a roller hockey game on the beach. Next headed into the city for a little urban ride in Chicago traffic, I was feeling pretty good since I knew which way the lake was and probably could find my way back. After taking some great pictures of Chicago at sunset I paused to watch a local softball game then headed back in the dark to return the bike. After turning in the stead I walked to Bubba Gumps for a few after tour brews and a little more food.

Great time, anytime you can ride a bike is a great time. I will try for the Palos tomorrow night, though I think the group wants dinner together, ugh!!:madman:

Thanks everyone for posting a little info, this is a great town.

Dibbs

·
Registered
928 Posts
I'll be there at 5pm tonight

If you can get a bike and make it I'll show you around.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Another visitor - sort of

Aloha folks

I actually spent part of my formative years in and around Chicago - went to H.S. at Fenton out in Bensenville way back when (1979 to be exact). Never did much mountain biking back then - they didn't make them yet ;)

Anyways, I'm a pretty avid rider now living in Hawaii, but I'll be out there at the end of the month for my cousin's wedding - July 28-31 - and I'd love to get a ride in. I'm 5' 6" 140lbs. I ride a small frame - 15-16" frame. I'm not picky - just want to ride.

Anyone free to ride Friday or Sunday?

·
Registered
928 Posts
If it's dry

We've had a lot of rain lately and there's a chance of rain pretty much every day next week. If we can find you a bike and it's dry then I might be able to squeeze some time away from the family. Come to think of it I do have a friend whose bike I can probably borrow send me a message and we can try to get together.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Sounds good - hopefully it dries up a bit! I will probably get into Chicago on Friday morning - catching the redeye out of LAX on the 27th. Shoot me your email or phone number so I can contact you when I arrive.

Thanks for hooking it up.

Robert

·
Registered
928 Posts
Bob

Did you get the email I sent you? Sorry, but I won't be in town for the weekend my wife has other plans for me, she booked us at a waterslide resort in WI. Sorry for the mix-up.

·
Registered
170 Posts
pineapplebob said:
Aloha folks

I actually spent part of my formative years in and around Chicago - went to H.S. at Fenton out in Bensenville way back when (1979 to be exact). Never did much mountain biking back then - they didn't make them yet ;)

Anyways, I'm a pretty avid rider now living in Hawaii, but I'll be out there at the end of the month for my cousin's wedding - July 28-31 - and I'd love to get a ride in. I'm 5' 6" 140lbs. I ride a small frame - 15-16" frame. I'm not picky - just want to ride.

Anyone free to ride Friday or Sunday?
shoot, i wish i saw this. i went out riding on friday night, it was nice weather. just casual riding w/ a friend up and down the lake side, didn't do anything fancy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.