Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 276 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are few guys on here that carry and a bunch of others that do not.

For those that do, how do you carry? What holster or pouch do use?
I have been looking at this and was just wondering if there was something similar.

Hill People Gear | Real use gear for backcountry travelers

I have never carried in the woods but I live and ride through a not so great neighborhood at night sometimes. It would be nice to carry something on my chest for quick access.

This just happened a few nights ago and has been increasing lately.
Waterfront Park mob violence brings increased police

I choose not be a sheep and yet I don't want to stop riding either.

So can any of you recommend a good chest pouch or something similar? I thought about a fanny pack but figured it would bounce around a bit too much. I don't want to put it in a back pack which would take forever to get to.
I want it to be in front for easy access.

I thought about putting it in a frame pouch but I want it on me at all times.
When I ride I often get off the bike to hike a trail or go eat, etc....

·
Your Best Friend
5,308 Posts
You REALLY need to do a search on the forum before you open this can of worms. It's been hashed out several times.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You REALLY need to do a search on the forum before you open this can of worms. It's been hashed out several times.
I did a search.
It was mainly just people arguing about whether to carry or not.

I am not asking whether or not I should carry.

I am asking what others are using to carry because I am going to regardless of those that say I should not.

I have multiple degrees and my background is in security/law enforcement.
I have given numerous presentations on situational awareness / conflict resolution.
I have about 17 years dealing with security.
My mind will not be changed on the need for a firearm.

So if you have nothing positive to recommend on a good carrying pouch I will disregard your comments from here on out.

Back on topic.....

I prefer something close to the chest that won't bounce around. For those of you that currently carry, what do you use/suggest?

·
Banned
726 Posts
So has EVERY OTHER subject you can cover on a mountain bike. Pedals, forks, tires, tubeless, BB standards, etc., all have 100's of threads about them.

To the op, I carry a Ruger LCP in a Desantis Superfly in the cargo pocket of my shorts when I ride.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So has EVERY OTHER subject you can cover on a mountain bike. Pedals, forks, tires, tubeless, BB standards, etc., all have 100's of threads about them.

To the op, I carry a Ruger LCP in a Desantis Superfly in the cargo pocket of my shorts when I ride.
Does it not bounce around?
I tried carrying my Glock 26 like that and every time I pedaled it moved too much.

It's hard to wear it on my side in a holster without a belt.

Have you tried other things and that worked best for you?

btw...... Thank you for actually answering the question with helpful information.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,521 Posts
I did a search.

I am not asking whether or not I should carry.

I am asking what others are using to carry because I am going to regardless of those that say I should not.

I have given numerous presentations on situational awareness / conflict resolution.

So if you have nothing positive to recommend on a good carrying pouch I will disregard your comments from here on out.

Back on topic.....

I prefer something close to the chest that won't bounce around. For those of you that currently carry, what do you use/suggest?
The reason he brought that up was not because you might find anything useful in those other threads. It's precisely because it's very difficult to find ANYTHING useful when you start a firearms discussion. It's because there are people who are very vocal about their opposition. Firearms threads never end well, so they're hardly worth starting in the first place.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The reason he brought that up was not because you might find anything useful in those other threads. It's precisely because it's very difficult to find ANYTHING useful when you start a firearms discussion. It's because there are people who are very vocal about their opposition. Firearms threads never end well, so they're hardly worth starting in the first place.
Those people will be ignored. I am not looking for an argument.
People are entitled to their opinion.

·
check your six
4,181 Posts
I think the OP has the right to start what ever thread he/she wants. And I think that if you do not like what the thread is about, you can stay out or check your butt hurt at the door first.. :) (NOT pointing at you Nate). :thumbsup:

But... This thread will spiral into the bin as all other "gun" threads do because people just don't know when to shut their mouth when not spoken too.

·
check your six
4,181 Posts
^ Maybe you should read my post..

·
Registered
399 Posts
Thanks for asking, I'm interested in constructive responses. Applying for my CCW this week :)

·
Registered
732 Posts
Oh I dunno. There are more than a few of us here who carry. We even have a contributor from Alaska who proudly carries a fire extinguisher with him when he rides. (I'm sure he'll chime in soon). So why not another firearms thread?

Mine goes, (as stated in the other two threads that immediately turned to sh!t), in my right rear jersey pocket. Cell phone, badge wallet, and spare mag go in the opposite (left) pocket for balance. I have yet to see a holster/carry bag that isn't either bulky, heavy, looks uncomfortable, would slow accessibility, or some combination of all of the above. So mine rides loose in the pocket with a full mag but an empty chamber. It's a subcompact, and it's light, and carrying it that way works well for me. Been doing it that way for a couple of decades now with zero issues.

If you carry one, train with it. Know your local and state firearms laws and often run "what if" scenarios in your mind. If you should ever have to use it to defend yourself or someone else, you want to know what you can lawfully do given a set of circumstances. Having to stop and think about it may render you useless.

·
Registered
9,516 Posts
I did a search.

Ya, thats what will happen.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Around here you can get a full custom leather setup any way you like for way under $100. That's what I did.

·
check your six
4,181 Posts
Around here you can get a full custom leather setup any way you like for way under $100. That's what I did.
Any link? Picture? Or is it a mom and pops custom shop? I am interested.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh I dunno. There are more than a few of us here who carry. We even have a contributor from Alaska who proudly carries a fire extinguisher with him when he rides. (I'm sure he'll chime in soon). So why not another firearms thread?

Mine goes, (as stated in the other two threads that immediately turned to sh!t), in my right rear jersey pocket. Cell phone, badge wallet, and spare mag go in the opposite (left) pocket for balance. I have yet to see a holster/carry bag that isn't either bulky, heavy, looks uncomfortable, would slow accessibility, or some combination of all of the above. So mine rides loose in the pocket with a full mag but an empty chamber. It's a subcompact, and it's light, and carrying it that way works well for me. Been doing it that way for a couple of decades now with zero issues.
Rides loose in what pocket? Your jersey pocket or pants pocket?
I conceal carry a G26.
I want something that will not bounce around while I run or cycle.
I have seen the shirts with built in pouches. That might be a good idea as well.

I prefer to stay away from leather as it is a bit heavier and I will probably be sweating a lot.

1 - 20 of 276 Posts