Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of Gear are you guys wearing? Looking at...
661 Core Save
661 Full EVO Pressure Suit 2010 and ALL the other Pro/Comp Suits.
Hard Plastic vs EVO ?

Want something good for DH,,,Bootleg/Mammoth
Thanx:thumbsup:

·
slow reeezay
153 Posts
I rock a core saver and love it. Never notice it on, don't get too over-heated and it has saved me from injury several times!

only downside was having to remove backplates to utilise my Leatt brace correctly, but i think they've sorted that for 2010!

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
For bootleg i would want hard plastic and not the evo stuff. The rocks there are nasty sharp

I have tried on every 661 suit i could get my hands on (so probably 8 or so) and none of them fit correctly or feel comfortable (except the core saver but i want shoulder protection). I am still on the quest to find something that will work good. I wish POC wasn't so crazy expensive. The rock garden trailstar looked good but i wish the spine was extended down more.

Dianese makes some interesting stuff but it is also expensive.

I wish someone would make some really low profile armor that is connected with straps and not any mesh or shirt or anything. My dads dianese armour is like that but doesn't have spine but man it is comfortable and it articulates and stays put well too.

·
MyBikeStand.com
331 Posts
Dude...after taking a NASTY wreck at Bootleg 2 weeks ago. I can definitely say wear whatever hard (not evo material) you can get...key is that it fits and is comfortable to ride in. Otherwise you may be inclined to leave it behind.

I had on a 661 CoreSaver, race knee and elbow pads. The thing I really like about the Coresaver is the way it wraps around your lower torso also protecting your sides. I suffered pretty bad bruising even with that padding. But with many other suits that have great back and front protection, some lack that side protection....I would have been screwed.

For me I chose my setup for just those reasons...that is where I usually land when I crash (or at least try to land and roll out of it). Also summers here are hot so I felt this was the best choice to keep cool....it does ok i guess compared to other choices I could have taken. Its totally comfortable, and I can mix and match armor for what I am riding. (Core/race knee/elbow=DH , evo knee/elbow core=4X , race knee evo elbow for trail/LITE freeride.....you get the idea)

on a note..go a size smaller that what you would expect with the 661 core...they stretch.

·
OMG!
413 Posts
I've used both the 661 Core Saver and the Rock Garden Flak jacket, so that's what I'll talk about.

Core Saver
Pros: Light, breathes fairly well, low profile
Cons: Shoulder protection sucks

Flak Jacket
Pros: Makes you practically indestructible
Cons: Like wearing an astronaut suit

It all comes down to whether you personally want more protection or more comfort.

BTW, I was stoked to have my flak jacket at bootleg

·
Registered
630 Posts
Anyone tried one of these?

Rockgardn TrailStar Chest Protector
Race Face Rally DH Armor Jacket
SixSixOne Assault Pressure Suit

Already got elbow protection and didn't want to spend extra on a full suit. Those seem to offer decent protection although nothing for the sides. Any input on comfort/protection on these? Couldn't find one locally to try on so hoping to order best one and return it if it sucks. Open to other recommendations as long as the price is close to $100.

Thanks!

·
Registered
225 Posts
get a trailstar. no need to ask why hands down the best all around protection to comfort ratio out there. 661 sucks. i have a assualt suit i would take 40 bucks for if yo uwant it. its a xl but i hate it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
genemk said:
Anyone tried one of these?

Rockgardn TrailStar Chest Protector
Race Face Rally DH Armor Jacket
SixSixOne Assault Pressure Suit
Thanks!
I run the Race Face Armor Jacket and love it. It fits the bill for me for some added light shoulder and back protection that can be wor under a jersey. Dunno if it's up to the rigors of full DH racing use, but it works great for the AM/light FR/light DH type riding I do.
The chest and back protection don't add too much heat, but the kidney belt does get kinda warm. I haven't tried it by itself, but you can also wear just the spine protection and kidney belt.
I dig the dainese stuff as well...it's just too damn expensive...

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
atchipmunk said:
I run the Race Face Armor Jacket and love it. It fits the bill for me for some added light shoulder and back protection that can be wor under a jersey. Dunno if it's up to the rigors of full DH racing use, but it works great for the AM/light FR/light DH type riding I do.
The chest and back protection don't add too much heat, but the kidney belt does get kinda warm. I haven't tried it by itself, but you can also wear just the spine protection and kidney belt.
I dig the dainese stuff as well...it's just too damn expensive...
wow thanks for the heads up on this one. I have been looking everywhere for some armor just like that.

how bulky are the shoulders? do you look like a football player with it under your jersey. Also how does the sizing go? im 6 feet tall and about 170 during the season.

also anyone know how compatible it is with a leatt brace?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Anyone been trying the 661 Evo Pressure Suit 2010? with foam pads?

really considering getting it because of the low profile and that you fit in a leatt under the back protection

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanx for all the great advice and ideas...I have yet to pull the trigger on what to buy...Still reading and still searching.

·
Registered
340 Posts
climbingbubba said:
wow thanks for the heads up on this one. I have been looking everywhere for some armor just like that.

how bulky are the shoulders? do you look like a football player with it under your jersey. Also how does the sizing go? im 6 feet tall and about 170 during the season.

also anyone know how compatible it is with a leatt brace?
No problem. The shoulder's aren't too bulky. Under the jersey, it adds a bit of bulk, but you definitely don't look like a football player. I don't have any pics of me wearing it, but there was a review on pinkbike where the guy had pics of his on (but no jersey over it). (http://www.pinkbike.com/news/raceface-rally-dh-jacket-2008.html).

As for sizing, the RF Armor Jacket is based on height. I believe for a 6' person, they specified a Large. I'm 5'9" and if I remember right the medium went up to 5'9". The large was for 5'9" to 6'2" I believe (don't remember for sure though).
As for Leatt brace compatibility...unfortunately I have no idea. Maybe call or email Race Face and ask them? Hope this helps...

·
Registered
36 Posts
2010 TrailStar

climbingbubba said:
The rock garden trailstar looked good but i wish the spine was extended down more.
Done!

Here's a sneak peek at the 2010 TrailStar, which should be available around the end of February. It will have a sixth back segment, making it equal in length to backslider on the S/M size Flak Jacket, and just one segment shorter than the L, XL and XXL sizes.

Shoulder cap is a bit more low-profile, and the double-thick padding on the bicep has been replaced with single layer + plastic. Leatt brace / Alpinestars compatible.

Attachments

·