Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
i just bought this chesini bike. I am not having much luck getting any info on it. the closest bike i can find is the chesini capriolo but mine boes not have the frame brace near the bb or the word "capriolo" stamped into the seat stay.

infact mine does not have any stamp on the frame, no name or serial or anything. it has the chesini logo and columbus name stamped on the fork crown.

it is kitted out with exage allround except the rear derailleur which had been replaced. the front wheel has a exage hub and fir rim with ss spokes so i think this is original but the rear is unmarked.

the non drive chainstay has a split in it. can this be welded?

any info would be great, i only payed €30 so feel fine about that but want to use it so a bit worried about the damaged chainstay.

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Yellow Rim
Outdoor table Evergreen Outdoor furniture Backyard
Yellow Green Iron Steel
Yellow Bicycle accessory Transport Bicycle part Bicycle
Bicycle frame Blue Bicycle part Yellow Bicycle accessory
Blue Yellow Infrastructure Bicycle accessory Electric blue
Blue Yellow Majorelle blue Pipe Close-up
Yellow Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Bicycle Orange
Yellow Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Black Metal
Yellow Close-up Metal Steel Iron
Blue Yellow Line Colorfulness Majorelle blue
Wood Hardwood Wood stain Grey Composite material
Wood White Black Grey Hardwood

·
Sergeant Spandex
669 Posts
Based solely on the Exage group and the welded on kick stand mount this was likely an inexpensive model which would not be worth the cost of repairing the cracked stay.

Chesini made some very fine road bikes and were known in particular for the X Uno which came with some over the top pantographing...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank for the info, does the exage group give any indication of age? i had a look but found mostly road exage stuff.
i thought it must have been a cheapo model but that makes me feel better about welding the frame as its not something special.
i have stripped it down and all i need is two spoke nipples and a quill stem. it will make a cheap beater to use on the nice trail near my house.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for that, its early 1992, a few different months.

is the columbus fork crown an indication of further columbus tubing? i couldnt see any little birds at the ends of the tubes but the paint is pretty thick.
the chesini logos are painted on so presumably original.

is there something to do about the cables cutting into the bb shell? i was thinking a short piece of cable outer or just extending the outer from the derailleurs so it went around the bb shell

·
Phobia of petting zoos.
1,009 Posts
is the columbus fork crown an indication of further columbus tubing? i couldnt see any little birds at the ends of the tubes but the paint is pretty thick.
the chesini logos are painted on so presumably original.
Short answer is "most likely". It would be rare for a bike to have a Columbus fork and not Columbus frame tubing, especially coming out of Italy.

Like you say, there was a Chesini Capriolo MTB. The higher spec ones had the Chesini logo pantographed into the headtube. Otherwise, similar features such as the arrow shaped pump peg, bridge between the seatstays and yep, even the kickstand/fender mount. They were Columbus Aelle.

Here (not mine, found this on eBay)....

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/fGv45jAzpXJyfUDkE0AFK9lHGqtoRcsDfYjKgNqoXto?feat=embedwebsite
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/yCAukSi5bjeIcnrL_nVnndlHGqtoRcsDfYjKgNqoXto?feat=embedwebsite
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/HCW0L2YUQ3mQlqU5S_BsVtlHGqtoRcsDfYjKgNqoXto?feat=embedwebsite
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/_NWWzRUewYCaRhMk3zkWJ9lHGqtoRcsDfYjKgNqoXto?feat=embedwebsite

is there something to do about the cables cutting into the bb shell? i was thinking a short piece of cable outer or just extending the outer from the derailleurs so it went around the bb shell
A length of cable liner from a Nokon cable set or similar would do the trick. I've used that on my vintage Italian road bikes with similar cable routing.

As for the crack in the chainstay, a frame builder could sweat the tube out and replace it, at the same time, removing the kickstand mount if originality and dorkiness wasn't a priority. :)

Grumps

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wee update

just a short update.

been through the bike and cleaned/replaced brake and gear cables and all that stuff. got a threadless stem adapter to give myself more freedom to choose from my scrap metal corner for stems and bars.

i did the very unwise thing of trying to weld the split tube myself, with an arc welder! came out fantastic. got it nicely welded and ground back smooth and painted. thought it was worth a go because if i ruined it i was no worse off really.

just incase some one else owns one of these bikes i can tell you now that 2.25" tyres will not fit. i have now got a 1.95 and a 2.1 and they seem to clear ok.

i just cable tied some cable outer under the bb shell to guide the cables and changed the tourney rd for an acera one i had. i wish the original exage one was still on it as all the other exage stuff on the bike is really nice quality and works great.

some one had put a threadless bb in it but it was for english threading. i can not find anyone who makes a threadless bb in 70mm with 36mmx24tpi threading. i have good threads on one side so could use a normal italian bb and epoxy the cup in the ruined side, allowing the bb to be removed for replacement. however i am now having trouble finding an italian bb longer then 115mm. the current one is 121mm and it seems about right. please let me know if you know of a solution.

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Bicycle fork

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
went for the first proper ride today. the bike rides great. the "stripped" bb threads were not that bad and i managed to get a bb in without too much hassle. the extra tightness should help keeping the italian threaded cup from unscrewing. i got a 115mm bb of ebay for 99p and the cranks and chainrings clear the frame no problem.

in keeping with the fixxer-upper nature off the bike the tyres are mis-matched. a nice new continental on the front and a ropey looking wolber rear. got both for a tenner and had no problem with grip in greasy rooty trails today.

Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Wheel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.