Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings:

I'm moving to Cherry Point this summer from SoCal.

Are there any decent offroad riding areas there, or will I be relegated to riding around on the dirt roads separating the corn/soy fields from the pine trees?

I know there are a lot of great places to ride in Western NC, but to me it's not worth spending an 8 hour round trip and burning hundreds of dollars of fuel for a bike ride.

Thanks for the help...RC

·
Cyclist
493 Posts
you might be bumming

2xPneu said:
Greetings:

Are there any decent offroad riding areas there, or will I be relegated to riding around on the dirt roads separating the corn/soy fields from the pine trees?

I know there are a lot of great places to ride in Western NC, but to me it's not worth spending an 8 hour round trip and burning hundreds of dollars of fuel for a bike ride.

Thanks for the help...RC
Riding in that area is limited but my observations are from five years ago, so it might have changed.

There are trails on base at Cherry Point. About 5 miles of rolling single track with lots of roots. Bridgeton, about 20 minutes north of New Bern has some trails called Beaver Dam. About five miles and wet if I remember correctly. Your comrades in Jacksonville have some trails too, one on base at the Brig. There is a cycling club in J-ville that can clue you in on the bandit trails.

Do you have a road bike? The road riding in that area, including outer banks type stuff, is really good. I used to ride from Cherry Point to the intercoastal, take a ferry and ride the back roads around Oriental. Good stuff.

semper fi,

Raleigh, about two hours from New Bern has lots of trails.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
striker said:
Do you have a road bike? The road riding in that area, including outer banks type stuff, is really good. I used to ride from Cherry Point to the intercoastal, take a ferry and ride the back roads around Oriental. Good stuff.
Thanks for the help.

I lived in Swansboro and spent a lot of years riding road with the Cape Fear Cyclists in Wilmington back in the 80's, and I realize I'll probably end up on the road most of the time. There are a lot of great places to ride, the Outer Banks out to Fort Macon was a lot of fun. I can only hope the ******* F150 drivers still throw beer bottles at riders, it really adds to the excitement of a ride.

I'm getting a Matt Chester built as a cyclocross/scorcher fixed, so I'll have the option of riding road with it and spending some time offroad as well.

Take care...RC

·
It's a Turner!
528 Posts
Hey man, I did the same thing - moved from SoCal to Wilmington, NC. Check out my website: www.sirbikesalot.com. Click on videos, and check out clips of the Pihrana Pit (which is in Cherry Point), the Brig trail (Camp Lejeune) and New River.

Driving two hours to Raleigh is not a bad idea either - there's some good stuff there.

2xPneu said:
Greetings:

Thanks for the help...RC

·
Cyclist
493 Posts
Good bike choice

You're CX scorcher bike is an excellent choice for riding in that area (and anywhere else). The area is surrounded by commerical pine forests with hundreds of miles of fire roads. The Croatan National Forest is a great place to ride that bike, but there are some sandy spots. That forest is very unique in terms of flora and fauna. I've even seen american alligators in there before.

I've been riding road regularly for over ten years and almost all my run in's with jerks were in this area of the state. There is a high concentration of of people not using sunscreen on their necks in that area so just be a little extra careful.

check out www.trianglemtb.com for trail info in raleigh.

·
Cyclist
493 Posts
striker said:
You're CX scorcher bike is an excellent choice for riding in that area (and anywhere else). The area is surrounded by commerical pine forests with hundreds of miles of fire roads. The Croatan National Forest is a great place to ride that bike, but there are some sandy spots. That forest is very unique in terms of flora and fauna. I've even seen american alligators in there before.

I've been riding road regularly for over ten years and almost all my run in's with jerks were in this area of the state. There is a high concentration of of people not using sunscreen on their necks in that area so just be a little extra careful.

check out www.trianglemtb.com for trail info in raleigh.

Also, you really should reconsider going to Western NC. The riding out there is world class and definitely worth at least one long 96!

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys, thanks for the tips.

Sirbikesalot-Nice website. Kinda weird looking at your AZ pictures of Sedona, we're buying a place on the Oak Creek golf course as a vacation/retirement home, and our escrow closes today. That's a killer place to ride, isn't it?

Striker-I figured I'd be spending a lot of time on those pine forest fireroads as well as on the road, which is why I went from 29"er MTB specs on the Chester to more cross geometry/tire size. I know I'll be making a couple of trips to Pisgah or wherever in Western NC, but not too often.

Looking forward to going back to NC. I'll try to link up with some of you back there once I get the transfer.

RC

·
It's a Turner!
528 Posts
Oh man, you're lucky - I love Sedona. Such a beautiful place. So much to explore around there being surrounded by national forest. I'd love to have a place there - smart move on your part to get in now. Hopefully it won't get too crowded, but every place seems to be these days, including Wilmington. I like how you can ride to the trails from your door.

2xPneu said:
Hey guys, thanks for the tips.

Sirbikesalot-Nice website. Kinda weird looking at your AZ pictures of Sedona, we're buying a place on the Oak Creek golf course as a vacation/retirement home, and our escrow closes today. That's a killer place to ride, isn't it?

Striker-I figured I'd be spending a lot of time on those pine forest fireroads as well as on the road, which is why I went from 29"er MTB specs on the Chester to more cross geometry/tire size. I know I'll be making a couple of trips to Pisgah or wherever in Western NC, but not too often.

Looking forward to going back to NC. I'll try to link up with some of you back there once I get the transfer.

RC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts