Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody been on the Cherry Creek Path lately? How icy and dicey is it? I just need to get out and spin. I am in the process of making homemade studded snow tires but like I said I am still in the process.

So Cherry Creek Path it might be. What is the likelihood I will crash and burn on a patch of ice? Anybody ridden it recently?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Why not just go check it out? Did our pioneering forefathers ask whether or not some burly pass was too tough to travel across? Probably not since that information didn't exist. Part of the joy of adventure is the discovery. I'm sure you won't die, and if it's dicey you'll have a bomber story to tell.

Not saying you are part of this...but the whole "woe is me" snow in Colorado thing is getting old. We're mountain bikers - and probably mountain hikers, snowshoers, skiers, etc. Embrace it, adapt, rage. In Norway, kids ski too and from school all winter long. Hell, they don't even plow the roads to the asphalt so people can ski on 'em. In Alaska, they talk about how winter is the best season for riding. Perhaps it is here too and we just don't know it.

Here's an article for some perspective: http://www.dirtragmag.com/print/article.php?ID=627

We ain't got it so bad.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hear ya on the whining about the snow. Myself...I adapt, hence the making of homemade studded snow tires. And X-country skiing in around downtown Denver was an eerily enjoyable experience.

But, I wasn't looking for opinions on how I should find out about the path, just looking for answers from people who have been on it.
Simple as that.

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
PuraVida said:
Anybody been on the Cherry Creek Path lately? How icy and dicey is it? I just need to get out and spin. I am in the process of making homemade studded snow tires but like I said I am still in the process.

So Cherry Creek Path it might be. What is the likelihood I will crash and burn on a patch of ice? Anybody ridden it recently?
What I can see during my drive home from office (Mississippi & CO) looks clean. As I mentioned before the path through Golden (6 & 93) is bone dry.

·
Registered
430 Posts
yesawickedpissa. kudos on the studs. alfred packer would be proud.

sorry to be a dick. trail conditions on the web are a bit of a pet peeve of mine, especially when it seems like our lives today are so programmed and lacking in any semblance of real adventure. but that shouldn't influence you or anyone else.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

·
Not just famous; infamous
1,069 Posts
Just went for a walk at lunch and it's still dicey. Lots of ice and hardpack. One section, just west of Havana, isn't even the path. The guy just sorta plowed straight thru the middle of the field.

That being said, there's a number of bike tracks on the path, so people have been riding it. Studded tires would be a good idea, but then, so would outriggers. Big knobbys would work pretty well, just be careful on the curves and take it easy.

Every week I keep telling myself it's time to get back to biking to work...and then we get another foot of snow. :rolleyes: One of the reasons I moved out here 10 years ago was because the winters were a lot nicer than back east and I could bike all year round, without freezing my bits off. This winter, it's sunny and warm in the TriState area, and frigid here. Ironic, eh? :p

·
Registered
430 Posts
Cyclical ain't it? I bet a lot of pioneers came to Colorado thinking this place would be the ****, land of gold and riches. And then they realized it's a barren wasteland - home of blizzards, no air and a desert like climate...and they went on to California or went home.

It seems the last ten years of warmth/drought have messed with a lot of people. This isn't all that unusual really if you look back over the past 150 years. And they say March and April in an El Nino year will be going off the hook with snow!

coolhandluchs said:
Just went for a walk at lunch and it's still dicey. Lots of ice and hardpack. One section, just west of Havana, isn't even the path. The guy just sorta plowed straight thru the middle of the field.

That being said, there's a number of bike tracks on the path, so people have been riding it. Studded tires would be a good idea, but then, so would outriggers. Big knobbys would work pretty well, just be careful on the curves and take it easy.

Every week I keep telling myself it's time to get back to biking to work...and then we get another foot of snow. :rolleyes: One of the reasons I moved out here 10 years ago was because the winters were a lot nicer than back east and I could bike all year round, without freezing my bits off. This winter, it's sunny and warm in the TriState area, and frigid here. Ironic, eh? :p

·
Registered
161 Posts
Pluto Pilot said:
Cyclical ain't it? I bet a lot of pioneers came to Colorado thinking this place would be the ****, land of gold and riches. And then they realized it's a barren wasteland - home of blizzards, no air and a desert like climate...and they went on to California or went home.

It seems the last ten years of warmth/drought have messed with a lot of people. This isn't all that unusual really if you look back over the past 150 years. And they say March and April in an El Nino year will be going off the hook with snow!
Good, maybe it will scare away all the CA and TX people.

·
I'm a unitard!
1,514 Posts
Pluto Pilot said:

You know, you don't have to read the trail report requests. Unless of course you just like to lecture people.

Secondly, I don't know that a record set of storms followed by another 10 inches, and maybe another is all that normal. Normal may be more snow than the last few years, probably, but this ain't normal. Lay off the *****in about *****in. This is a forum for discussion and dissemination of ideas, information, and plain ol' bs.

·
Registered
430 Posts
This is a forum for discussion and dissemination of ideas, information, and plain ol' bs.[/QUOTE]

Uhhh...I think that's what I'm doing. My idea is that this winter kicks ass, should continue until April, driving Californians and nardowells out, and making the trails have less people come August when they finally melt out.

Ideas, information and plain ol' bs in one fell swoop!

·
recovering racer
172 Posts
If the bike path has been plowed, or has seen some traffic then it's a go on a cross bike or MTB. If not, then it's an exercise in futility - I tried riding a road that wasn't plowed and got about 2 yards. That being said, I rode Cherry Creek reservoir yesterday on my FS MTB and the main road has been plowed and is mostly down to pavement...very cold wet pavement. The bike paths on the north side of the park weren't even visible - meaning they are still under about a foot of consolidated snow. Two of the road loops on the north side of the park haven't been plowed and if it weren't for the closure gates you wouldn't even know there were roads there.

I'm riding my road bike there tomorrow at lunch. The side roads to the rez from my office are still sketch but doable. The snow melt on the roads makes a very cold wet ride, but I'll dry my panties out when I'm done. :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.