Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ridden the Chequamegon 40 multiple times on a geared bike, but this year I am thinking about racing it on my singlespeed. I found a few old threads (one from 2004) that mentioned many riders were running at least a 2 to 1 chainring to cog ratio.

I'm a bigger guy (6'3" and 195 lb) who does better on the flats than the hills. I know this course well enough to know I'm going to have to decide if I gear for the flats or the hills. I raced the Lumberjack 100 this year on a 34x19. It worked great for that race, but I'm think that's not fast enough for the flats at the cheq. I'm not looking to place, and typically finish inside the top 15% of my age group.

For those that have ridden this race on a SS, what gearing did you run? I'd be interested in any insights on why you chose that hearing.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ran a 36x16, was tough on the last few hills, would probably run 2 to 1 next time. Either way I always lost the groups I was riding with on the flats as I would spin out and get spit off the back, and pass riders on the hills.

·
Registered
124 Posts
So how did the race go? I've done the Short and Fat a few times on my 26" bike with 39/18 for my set up. Walked a couple climbs , but there where no shortage of geared riders strolling to the top. There where a few places I wished I had a higher gear, but for the most part it worked well.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought I would update this thread in case future SS'ers are looking for gear choices for the Cheq MTB Festival race. I had set up my bike with a 34x19 for the race, which was the same gear I ran at the Lumberjack 100. But after reading danellerkamp's post (many thanks!), I switched out to an 18 in the rear. I didn't have a 17 to go 2-to-1. I ended up finishing 153 overall and 6th in the SS category. They did change the course this year and took out some of the early climbs, which may have helped a bit. I did get passed by quite a few folks at the start on the road, but I managed to get a lot of spots back in Rosie's field so that by the time we hit the reroute, I wasn't in much traffic.

If I do the race on the SS again, I'll likely try out a 34x17 gear. That would give me a bit more speed on the flats.

Next up for me is the Iceman Cometh Challenge. I'll be running a 34x17 for that race. Should be fun!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.