Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used a variety of basic paint strippers from the hardware store before that took "wet" paint right off frames and forks, and had no issues taking what I thought was powdercoat off another frame (where it wasn't sticking well to begin with), but I just used the same stripper on a fairly new frame and id did absolutely nothing. Zilch. It is a Nashbar X cyclocross frame, so pretty cheaply made overall. Funny it should have such a burly paint job. Any suggestions on stuff I might find at the local hardware store? Here's what I have been using:

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I got a can of the stuff in question (Permatex gasket remover). It has the exact same active ingredient as the paint stripper I was using (methyl chloride), but it seems to be a bit more concentrated. It softened the PC to the point where with a lot of elbow grease I was able to scrape, reapply, and scrape some more to get the paint off. Not a perfect solution, but it did work in the end.

Tnx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.