Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: I received my Solo in mid-August. I have been loving it. My friend rides a Bronson and we sometimes switch. What I noticed is the Bronson kills going down and the Solo kills going up. One day riding about a month ago in the mud, I ran into major problems. There was little to no clearance on the front tire. The mud actually stopped the wheel, while the Bronson continued to plow through everything. I started looking at other bikes and realized something was strange about the lack of clearance. I called my LBS (60 miles away). He said no way and asked for photos and the serial #. I sent this and it was a fork for a 26 inch wheel.

Update: The new fork came in to the LBS yesterday. I loaded up the bike and drove over to have it installed. A couple hours later they installed the exact same fox 26 inch fork. They didn't realize it was the same??? Now they have to contact Santa Cruz again to get the 27.5 fork in again. I am assuming they are mixing up the two quite often, if this happened to me twice??? Check your fork. It might be a 26 inch. BTW It was the Fox Kashima that comes in the build kit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is the fork itself marked in any way to know its for a 26" wheel or you just have to look at the clearance of the tire to the fork bridge?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fork is not marked. If you look at the bike/fork upside down, there is a serial number on the bottom. The shops can look it up. It looks almost the same but the bridge has a more rounded shape. This should also affect the geometry of the bike because the length from the headset to the through axel is longer in the 27.5 fork. Pretty crazy that I spent 9K on a bike and the company does not know the difference between the two forks. I will take a photo when I get home.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Wow. SC has made definitely made it to the bigtime if they are starting to have problems like this. Or even better, maybe they are pawning off their stock of 26 forks on unsuspecting customers. Ha!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
A $9K bike with the wrong fork not once, but twice is
total BS.
I don't see what price has to do with it. It's coming from the same place and the same people as a 3k bike. You are paying for a higher component spec, not insulation from incompetence.

I'm sure the wrench assembling both bikes makes the same amount for each.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't mean to come off as being entitled to receive better service because of the price. What I was trying to say is a company that has the ability to charge for 9k for a wonderful bike probably should know the difference between a 26 inch fork and a 27.5 inch fork. By producing a 3K or 9k bike, they should have high standards for what gets shipped. They seem to take pride in their bike geometry etc. I read they only warrant the Solo with suspension of 120-140mm front travel? Then they turn around and ship the incorrect shock not once, but twice. I wanted people to be aware they may be riding a shock not even designed for their bike or geometry. I do think all are entitled to get the product they paid for. I would expect to get the 27.5 fork on a entry level, if that is what I ordered.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will post a picture of the 26 inch fork on my bike. I don't have the 27.5 fork yet. They are shipping the fork to the LBS. Hopefully they can get me the right fork this time around.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
picture of 26 fork

The picture does not really give it justice how little clearance there is. Also, I check the length of the fork that is supposed to be on it. It is about an inch longer.

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
I wonder what fork is installed on the bikes on the demo truck and at the factory demo. Also, did any magazines review a 5010 with the wrong fork installed? An inch difference in length would definitely steepen the head angle and make a noticeable difference in handling.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts