Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
I think it is a sad day for AUSTRALIA with all this sh!! that is going on.I come from the Sutherland shire(40 years) and was down at Cronulla on that fateful day and can only say i am ashamed what happened that day and since.You walk around the "shire" and the Aussie flag is hung/worn as a call to arms and since that day we have attracted every ******* from across the country to the place bloody disgusting.Been around the world and seen it now its in my backyard.Time to move on.

·
Registered
351 Posts
******* racists who wrap themselves in the flag while they had their mates beat other people up don't represent me. I'm proud to be an Australian, but I'm certainly not proud of what some Australians do supposedly in the name of patriotism.

If they had a flag that said "Booner ******* Thugs" and rallied under that then no one would bat an eyelid if the Big Day Out organisers said that they'd confiscate any B.R.T. flags that were brought in.

Media beat up and pollies playing wedge politics.

Makes me sick.

Cronulla riots: Not in my name
Blind toadying to Bush: Not in my name

Was a time when you'd be proud to say you were Australian overseas. When we had a good repuation as a fair and friendly country. People knowing you were Australian meant you'd be treated better than some of the other obnoxious pale skinned tourists around the place. Those days are over. Our national reputation has been dragged through the dirt.

Bah, you either agree or you don't and on either side nothing anyone says is going to change anyones mind.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Lifted from the relevant thread on Farkin.net:
"People who brand anything they dislike as "Un-Australian" need to fark off. I think its unaustralian to deny me a good view of the concert.

As usual the media is blowing it all way out of preportion. I have compiled the following arguements, if you disagree then you are a moron...

1. Organisers don't want the Australian flag to be used to antagonise racial minorities. How is being racist to other people wanting to enjoy a day out of music "Australian"?

2. A flag is totally unnecessary at a concert, you're in Australia, you don't need to remind people where we all are. If you want to be patriotic go paint your face and only watch the Australian acts. Other people want to actually see the acts without having a twerp in front of them waving their Aussie flag in their faces.

3. How is dragging around an Australian flag in a sweaty moshpit, putting it on the ground, draping it round your shoulders like a cape or getting it dirty patriotic? If you idiots really had a patriotic bone in your body you would have a bit more respect for "your beloved flag" by not treating it like a sweat rag.

Spyder tried to argue that "thousands of people have died in honour of that flag" therefore he should be able to wave it about. Good way to honour the dead by waving around the flag they died for in a pit full of sweaty topless people spilling beer on it and dropping it in the dirt. I'm sure they will award you the Victoria Cross for your unrivaled patriotism.

I pretty much covered all possible arguements you could ever have that asking people not to bring the flag isn't a good idea. If you want to try and prove me wrong then go ahead..."

Covers my sentiments on the issue pretty well I must say.

·
Girt by sea.
463 Posts
Talk about a media beat up! This one is the best I've seen since the "kids overboard" sh!t.

·
Still learning
876 Posts
Look, I don't support what happened in Cronulla, but some blame needs to be put on the local police who despite reports being made took absolutely no action towards what caused the riots in the first place. The police refused to take action, so the people themselves took action. If they had followed up on the initial attacks in the first place, it never would have got blown out of proportion the way it did.
Of course, you wouldn't read that in most of the papers. And you sure as hell wouldn't read it in a Fairfax publication.

Having said that, I saw two guys today wearing the Australian flag; I almost wanted to slap one over the back of his head when I saw it dragging along the ground at the base.

Though I mostly agree with and can see what Drew is saying, there's a few things I can give a different point of view on:
1. Organisers don't want the Australian flag to be used to antagonise racial minorities. How is being racist to other people wanting to enjoy a day out of music "Australian"?
You can flip that around and also ask how flying our own flag in our own country is supposed to put us in fear of antagonising racial minorities. Newsflash: We're in Australia.
If people don't like our flag being around and used, they can piss off.

On points 2 and 3 I'll agree though :)

·
Registered
573 Posts
For gods sake does everyone take the media's word as true? They've blown this whole thing so far out of proportion because hype sells papers.

The organisers of BDO did not ban the flag, they asked people to consider leaving them at home so as to prevent the same sort of affair that happened in Cronulla.

Not that I really supported what happened in Cronulla but its not the first time its happened and it was probably long overdue anyway. The only reason it was so big this time around was due to the overrated media coverage.

2 of Sydneys famous "shock Jocks" were charged with inciting civil disobediance but I bet you didn't hear that one on the news... Wake up and start viewing the media with a cynical and realistic point of view.

·
Registered
351 Posts
akashra said:
With point 1, you can flip that around and also ask how flying our own flag in our own country is supposed to put us in fear of antagonising racial minorities. Newsflash: We're in Australia.
If people don't like our flag being around and used, they can piss off.

On points 2 and 3 I'll agree though :)
At last year's BDO in Sydney, drunken yobbos were walking around in packs going up to people who didn't look anglo and thereatening them with violence if they didn't kneel and kiss their flags.

Under regular curcumstances I have no hassles with people flag flying but I can see the point if it's going to b used in this manner.

I don't have an issue with little kids at Halloween dressing up as ghosts under white sheets, but they don't use them in the same manner as the KKK.

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In this case, the media coverage has acted as a catalyst to bring views on this issue to the fore - which is part of their job in any case.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yes, but unfortunately it will mean that the Sydney Big Day Out will be even more of a rallying point for drunken racist nationalist thugs than it otherwise would have been.

It may be their job but it hasn't done anyone any favours.

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fullrange Drew said:
Yes, but unfortunately it will mean that the Sydney Big Day Out will be even more of a rallying point for drunken racist nationalist thugs than it otherwise would have been.
I do believe you are right.

If it ain't broke - don't fix it....

·
Registered
524 Posts
I posted this on the other thread

What is the point of going to a rock concert if you can't take drugs? Stop the planet I wanna get off!

As for the whole flag waving thing I think the organisers made a huge mistake and have paid the price. Glad it wasn't me.
On the broarder Cronulla issue I think we need to be honest and admit that many of us are racist towards other cultures especially those that differ greatly to our own. I was born in the shire and back then (70's) it was all mostly Aussie with the immigrant population being mostly Greek and Italian. I think it is fair to say that they have now more or less integrated and hopefully we will see the same thing with the Lebanese in the future. I admit to having my doubts.
I still think this is the greatest country in the world and if I want to wave the flag I bloody well will!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Bradway Musical?

akashra said:
Sounds like about the right time to cue "Everyone's a little bit racist" from the broadway musical "Avenue Q" :)
Sounds like it might be time to que the music for "it's raining men" :rolleyes:

:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.