Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Poser
263 Posts
Dear Mr. Imrem,

I'm sure Ricky Williams is a fine example of fitness, but your article has exposed just how little you know about cycling, or the aerobic fitness a world-class cyclist achieves.

Now that I'm stimulated to think about it, I'd consider aerobic fitness, stamina, and strength (utilized for a sport) to be some of the most important measures of a true athlete, if not THE most important. This is not to deprecate the skills and talent of the NFL as a whole, or even the NBA or our major league baseball players; but, in the old-school ideal of an athlete being able to (insert sport here) faster, longer, or more skillfully than his peers, a cyclist has to do those things more so than a football player, emphasis on faster and longer.

I know better than to think my commentary will sway your opinion, but I sure hope you have your asbestos suit handy for all the email you'll receive over this. Also, you should consider a bicycle ride in any mountain range, soon!

Best,
xxxxxx

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Stupid ploy by noodnick sports columnist to generate false outrage and popularize his name (Mike who?).

The column gets stoopider (if you can get past the column's title, "Top Athletes Don't Ride Bicycles") in the third paragraph when he begins talking about "World's Greatest Athlete".

That "title" doesn't exist.

No more than the "Best Bike", "Best Fork", "Best Shock", "Best Tire", "Best Saddle", "Best ..." exists.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ignorant for sure, at least!

scorcher seb said:
"Cyclist hating"?!

If it is the same as the article that I read earlier, I thought he was just ignorant - in a fat and happy kind of way. I wouldn't have described him as cyclist-hating.
This is one of the main reasons cycling is not taken seroiusly here in the United States. People out there really beleive that an over weight football player is more af an athlete than a Norba XC pro, a motorcross racer or a tour racer. Come on and we wonder why we can't get bicycle lanes on road ways.

In Europe is a kid tells his parents he wants to be a bike racer most are going to tell him to go and get a base ball instead. Then we complain that we (the United States) can't compete on a World level (World Cup MTB racing or the Classics).

This guy said that Rodman could win the tour, come on! That dude would not be able to ride around the block clipped in!

·
2,548 Posts
Speedüb Nate said:
Stupid ploy by noodnick sports columnist to generate false outrage and popularize his name (Mike who?).

Exactly !!!! Jeez, I'm surprised he didn't also try to claim that them there Nascar car and pick-em-up truck drivers are better athletes than Lance....hehheh

·
Registered
515 Posts
Skip said:
This is one of the main reasons cycling is not taken seroiusly here in the United States. People out there really beleive that an over weight football player is more af an athlete than a Norba XC pro, a motorcross racer or a tour racer. Come on and we wonder why we can't get bicycle lanes on road ways.

In Europe is a kid tells his parents he wants to be a bike racer most are going to tell him to go and get a base ball instead. Then we complain that we (the United States) can't compete on a World level (World Cup MTB racing or the Classics).

This guy said that Rodman could win the tour, come on! That dude would not be able to ride around the block clipped in!
Weird. I wish we had as many decent bike lanes here in the UK as I had growing up in California. I very much doubt if I'd have ever started mountain biking if I'd lived here instead of there.

Sports journalists, especially in the US, are normally a particular type of loser. You should look on the bright side - an overweight American sports journalist who thinks that American Football is the pinnacle of athleticism is having to defend its participants because of the achievments of an American riding a bike. Just because he doesn't realize that there are sports out there where the participants don't have to stop every 20 seconds to change teams and come off for oxygen doesn't diminish the immensity of Armstrong's achievment.

Personally, I've never heard of this Williams guy. But then I don't suppose anyone outside the US could give a flying **** about him or his sport.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wrote that wrong..what I was trying to say is in the US if a kid wants to be a bike racer his parents dont take him seriously and tell him to play baseball instead. In Europe they have much better Jr development programs.

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
I HAD to send that guy an email to thank him..

Here's part of it..
"Thanks for the comic relief from your article "TOP ATHLETES DON'T RIDE BIKES"! It made my day with all those wonderful assertions. Hysterical!

P.S. "Williams could peddle a bicycle for a couple hours in the Tour de France..." Yes, I'm sure Williams could sell a bicycle for a couple of hours in the Tour de France. LOL!"

·
Registered
804 Posts
Here we go again

Every year at TDF time, the crappy sports writers who have nothing to say come out of the woodwork. It's so predictable. Hmmm.... I can't come up with anything this week for my article, let's talk about how cycling isn't a sport, just like the rest of us fukwads did last year at this time. I can't believe that this stuff continues to get published year after year.

Here is an alternate title: "Top Writers Don't Write Sports Articles".

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wtf?

Skip said:
Could someone please explain to me how the hell someone like that gets picked as a sports writer? Ricky Williams in nowhere near the athlete that our beloved Lance is. I thougth it was especially ignorant of that ******** to declare that Lance couldn't take a hit from a football player. He doesn't have to. He took an even harder hit with testicular cancer, and that was before he ever started winning the Tour. Any man who can come back from cancer that has spread all over his body and win 6 straight tour titles is definitely one hell of an athlete, and so long as noone else has done that Lance is the World's Greatest Athlete. When that F##%ed up writer can actually ride a stationary bike for more than 30 minutes, then he can dream about being priveleged enough to write about Lance. For another thing, what has Ricky Williams ever done in the NFL that would even come close to earning him the title of World's Greatest Athlete? In college, when he played for TU( yes I'm an Aggie fan) he was a really good player. He got a very rude awakening however once he started playing pro ball. He may still be a decent running back, but he isn't even the NFL's best so WTF is that crack smokin writer toting him for. I mean did Ricky Williams save his life once or something? I have a suggestion. Why don't we all write that guy at his e-mail address and let him know what's up. You would think that at the very least the daily herald would hire a compotent sports writer instead of someone from the "bum of the month" club.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You Win

Phat_Head said:
some of you guys need some thicker skin! get over it and go for a ride!
Your right phat head. Maybe we should ignore it. Now that I think about it, he just wants popularity. Maybe he gets paid by the number of e-mails he gets each day. But, like direktor said, he definitely needs to be on the lookout for hate mail and such. hehehehe
I however hope he isn't,so if someone smart sends him a virus or something, he gets it. HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE. I'm just kidding. I would never wish that on someone even if they are unfit to be a sports writer. Mikey42186

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
I think he is mistaken.

With the kind of conditioning Lance has my guess is that he COULD take a hit from a NFL lineman. The problem would be that it would really piss him off and you know what happens then.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
By this logic most of the participants on the olympics aren't athletes either. What does physical contact between contestants have to do with being athletic? Would a pro boxer be a better athlete than a pro football player because he can take a bigger beating?

Besides I seriously doubt many of the NFL players could finish the TDF on the same day let alone a competative time as the pro cyclists, even if they limited their efforts to biking only. It's a different kind of sport, plain and simple.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Lance could probably take a football hit (not many though); Gretsky most certainly could not win a TdF. To imply that any lean athlete could train to win a bike race just demonstrates ignorance. Hell, I know people who can play hours of basketball, probably the most physically demanding sport, and still bonk after less than an hour of MTB. Making comparisons like that is plain ol dumb.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.