Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Scofflaw Mountain Biker
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anonymous said:
see, I think you need to piss off!
P=diddy, or puff daddy or whatever told me to vote or die.

I did neither!
Did you take your Prozac today?? Your not making any sense.

·
the wrench
469 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Camelbak grew a lot when they started selling to the military, was wondering when we'd get a chance to buy some of them at retail...
most camelback dealers are able to special order most of thos designs in. if youre in canada OGC is the supplier and they carry a bunch in their catologue and if any other models are in mind OGC is able to special order from camelback.

edit: im assuming that QBP is the camelback supplier for the US and the QBP guys are great and they would almost certainly special order one from CB if you wanted.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Don't get excited, guys, the ones they actually issue you are the cheapest ones Camelback makes. No pockets, just a bladder with two thin straps to go around your arms. And I was a ranger! We were supposed to get the cool stuff! The one I have is from my army days and I had to buy it myself. It's pretty much this one, just 5 years old now. http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/72000.html

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Just a note from someone that has used....

the Military design C Backs. They are great for what they were designed for. We used them quite a bit in Iraq. But they are HEAVIER than the standard camel back and noticeably so. The storage pockets are designed around military use and as such are not always the greatest for hauling bike stuff. The extra weight is due to the heavier materials that are used to make the pack. Remember if you have something that you think is unbreakable, give it to the Army or the Mraine Corps. If they don't break it then you have some thing! The military C back is also not designed with biking in mind as far as strap placement as well. They are designed with a soldier wearing field gear in mind. Anyway, I still have mine from my tour in Iraq and have ridden with it. I have the mule in both Civilian and Military designs. While the Military model has a bit more storage capacity, the civilian model is lighter (lodaded or unloaded) and quite a bit more comfortable while riding. The lower end models like the basic, and the ambush aren't that much different than the civilian counter parts. But once you get above the basic the weights go up a bit. So if it is of concern to you, the civy camel backs are better suited to riding than the military models IMHO. But the Military models are great for hiking, they do give you a bit more storage. Of course the camo colors are cool to, if you are into camo. Just an ovservation. For riding I would personally stick with the civilian style camel backs for comfort.

Good Dirt

·
Scofflaw Mountain Biker
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Squash said:
the Military design C Backs. They are great for what they were designed for. We used them quite a bit in Iraq. But they are HEAVIER than the standard camel back and noticeably so. The storage pockets are designed around military use and as such are not always the greatest for hauling bike stuff. The extra weight is due to the heavier materials that are used to make the pack. Remember if you have something that you think is unbreakable, give it to the Army or the Mraine Corps. If they don't break it then you have some thing! The military C back is also not designed with biking in mind as far as strap placement as well. They are designed with a soldier wearing field gear in mind. Anyway, I still have mine from my tour in Iraq and have ridden with it. I have the mule in both Civilian and Military designs. While the Military model has a bit more storage capacity, the civilian model is lighter (lodaded or unloaded) and quite a bit more comfortable while riding. The lower end models like the basic, and the ambush aren't that much different than the civilian counter parts. But once you get above the basic the weights go up a bit. So if it is of concern to you, the civy camel backs are better suited to riding than the military models IMHO. But the Military models are great for hiking, they do give you a bit more storage. Of course the camo colors are cool to, if you are into camo. Just an ovservation. For riding I would personally stick with the civilian style camel backs for comfort.

Good Dirt
All good points. I purchased the Desrt Cammo Ambush and love it. It is heavier do to the heavy duty materials it is made of. It also has a much better bladder that the ones in the civ models. The Bladder is made of thicker material and the hose is detachable. The hose also has the insulating sleave. Overall I like heavy duty as I am pretty rough on equipment an heavy duty lasts longer with my usage. I do love the camo color as well. :)

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
zon said:
....and the hose is detachable.
I use my Nalgene bladder from my REI/Novara hydration packs for that very reason...you can detach the hose from the bladder. Wonder why CamelBak doesn't incorporate this feature into their civilian line of packs.

And someone earlier in the thread mentioned QBP. I'll have to check tonight in our shop's catalog (I work parttime for REI), but I'm not 100% positive that they are a CamelBak distributor and even if they are it's probably much more easier to go through CamelBak directly than having to deal with a middleman like QBP.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,881 Posts
bigbadwimp said:
Don't get excited, guys, the ones they actually issue you are the cheapest ones Camelback makes. No pockets, just a bladder with two thin straps to go around your arms. And I was a ranger! We were supposed to get the cool stuff! The one I have is from my army days and I had to buy it myself. It's pretty much this one, just 5 years old now. http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/72000.html
We bought our own. As long as it wasn't obtrusive (mine was tan) it was ok.

If you got to carry a lot of other stuff, you really don't want some huge camelback, almost better to find a way to secure the bladder inside of a rucksack and then go from there.

·
Master Of Fooliganism
483 Posts
Burly and heavy

I've run three of the military camelbaks. The older style mule (then it was the same as the civilian version), the transformer (3! 3! packs in 1!), and a more recent HAWG. LIke someone mentioned, they are heavier and much more burly. Hard to carry pumps sometimes, as not all the mil-spec packs have long pockets.
I liked the HAWG because it has lots of MOLLE lashing points so I had no problem attaching the kukri and the armour. And had no concerns with scraping it on trees, rocks, etc.
The transformer wasn't well suited for bikes, gave it to a friend that hunts and he digs it. Pockets were too small for my stuff.
The mule was nice, just started carrying more crap so needed something bigger. Nice woodland colour let me blend into the trees...
Wasn't too geeked with the bladders (aside from the cool colour), as my mouth piece started leaking and swapped out the hose for the more traditional hose.

The LBS I work at brings them in everyonce in a while, and they sell out pretty quick. For some odd reason, I have my eyes on a motherload, though certainly not for biking.

Oni

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.