Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally ready to pull the trigger and this is what I've come up with for my build. I'm 6-0 195 and ride agressive both up and down, no real jumping though, single track stuff and fireroad.
Pike 454 u turn air
x9 triggers and RD
xt crankset
magura marta brakes
chris king headset
hope hubs
819 mavic wheels
Should I get the dhx air or coil, I'm leaning toward coil for reliabilty? Also, what do you think of the hope hubs? I'll be buying from Chad at Red Barn Bicycles, very helpful guy with great prices.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Hope Rear?

SF Jakey said:
I'm finally ready to pull the trigger and this is what I've come up with for my build. I'm 6-0 195 and ride agressive both up and down, no real jumping though, single track stuff and fireroad.
Pike 454 u turn air
x9 triggers and RD
xt crankset
magura marta brakes
chris king headset
hope hubs
819 mavic wheels
Should I get the dhx air or coil, I'm leaning toward coil for reliabilty? Also, what do you think of the hope hubs? I'll be buying from Chad at Red Barn Bicycles, very helpful guy with great prices.
I may have written this in another thread already, but I don't like the pawl/freehub setup on the Hope at all. The front hub is fantastic, but for someone your size I would recommend a King rear with a stainless freehub. Trust me, it'll be cheaper in the long run.

·
1,247 Posts
hadley needs some lovin!

if not kings... then hadleys!
you could also consider the marz z1 light.. and maybe dtswiss ex5.1d rims.
but these are just sideways suggestions.. no real improvements over what you got. :)

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
SF Jakey said:
Pike 454 u turn air
x9 triggers and RD
xt crankset
magura marta brakes
chris king headset
hope hubs
819 mavic wheels
Looks very similar to my build I am specing right now. Few differences are Juicy brakes, Hadley hubs and DT 5.1 Wheels.

Curious, you getting a Spot or Pack? Also what size did you buy. I'm 6ft 195 as well, and the Large Spot seems to be a good fit with a shorter (100mm or less) stem.

·
Living the Dream
1,783 Posts
Good Build

Looks good. Definately get the Pike--I love my Reba!. I also like Hope Hubs. Very easy to service & they're made to last in nast English weather. I would also suggest the Louis FR's over the Martas. I love mine & chad will hook you up with a great price. Maguras are great. Good choice also on the DHX Coil--I have loved mine since my first ride on it. I like the Mavic 819s, but I am wondering if I should have gotten the DT Swiss 5.1s. I like to run a 2.5 Nevegal on the front. However, if you run a 2.35 or smaller, 819s are probably a good choice. Super easy to run tubeless, even with non-UST tires. I find that WTBs and Kendas work great for NORCAL.

Where you at in Norcal? I'll be spending Xmas with my Parents who live next to Annadel In Santa Rosa & I plan on riding there a lot.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info, guys. I'm building a large spot. I'll have to talk to Chad more about the rear hub. I'd love to go Chris King, but I think the price is waaay to high for me. I live in Marin, not far from Annadel, but I've never ridden there. As far as the rims, I don't ever see myself running a tire larger than 2.3, and I really like tubeless, so the Mavics should be good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.