Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drag a Burley trailer and it's a goathead magnet, especially because it tracks so wide so it's always running one tire or other in prime goathead trajectory.

I'm looking to put tubeless rims and tires on it but pretty much want the cheapest combo. Are there any cheap-ish 20" tubeless rims yet?

Right now I'm running tubes with Stans in them and the Stans helps a ton, but not enough. Are the self-sealing tubes you can get at Walmart any better than Stans?

And has anybody tried putting 24" wheels on a trailer and did it work out? It seems like they would fit but then I'd have to take them off a lot more to fit them in the van.

· Registered
547 Posts
I just set up a pair of (24") alienation mischief rims with schwalbe rocket Ron's. They weren't cheap at $60/each, but were significantly cheaper than the stans. I believe that alienation had more options in 20", and that sun ringle also has a budget (heavy) tubeless rims, but I was looking for 24" and only incidentally getting 20" rims in my search.

· Registered
2,433 Posts
Velocity A23 comes in most sizes. Looks like they want about a hundred bucks for it though.

You could go the old "ghetto tubeless" route with a 16" tube

· Registered
203 Posts
I'd clean and wrap the rims with a couple of layers of Stan's tubeless rim tape or a layer of Gorilla Tape. Make sure the tape is wide enough to go up the bead shelf so the tire bead is resting snug against the tape when installed. Install a tubeless valve and stem. Then throw 3-4 ounces of sealant in and inflate (over inflate a little so that the air will force the sealant into any holes/gaps). Slowly swish the sealant around the rim and tire like you're trying to coat all the surfaces and let the sealant do its thing. I used to do this when tubeless was an emerging technology. Just make sure to add new sealant periodically. This should work for fine for your trailer.

· Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The foam inner tubes are a no-go for performance. Pulling a trailer is already hard and I can tell a big difference between good tires and bad ones, and inflation pressure. So I'd like to decrease rolling resistance with tubeless, but not increase it with foam wheels. With the tubeless tires on my towing bikes, I can literally roll through goathead gardens and laugh, so I know how well it works I just want that for my trailer.

I have several kids bikes with 20" Alienation TCS rims and Little Joe tires. I guess I can just bite the bullet and buy that setup for the trailer but I was hoping there were cheaper options. I don't know why all rims aren't tubeless compatible nowadays in 2021. I could maybe find some wider cheapo BMX rims and set them up with ghetto tubeless or something but that's a hassle too.

· Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
converted stock rims to tubeless on burley, was a pita to pop the tyre, however soap did the trick
What kind of rim tape did you use? My current tires are a really sloppy fit on the stock rims, and the stock rims are pretty narrow, so it doesn't seem like a good tubeless proposition. But I just found out the stock Burley hubs are 20h, which makes it impossible to find any tubeless compatible rims in 20h, so it's probably the only way.

· Registered
Status 140, NS Suburban
465 Posts
Stans, just cut to the needed width with homedopot knife, and valves from amazon;

You can do ghetto with 16 inch tube - much easier to seal tyre (did same on kids bike due to inability to seal tyre/rim combination

Cheers

· Registered
547 Posts
The foam inner tubes are a no-go for performance. Pulling a trailer is already hard and I can tell a big difference between good tires and bad ones, and inflation pressure. So I'd like to decrease rolling resistance with tubeless, but not increase it with foam wheels. With the tubeless tires on my towing bikes, I can literally roll through goathead gardens and laugh, so I know how well it works I just want that for my trailer.

I have several kids bikes with 20" Alienation TCS rims and Little Joe tires. I guess I can just bite the bullet and buy that setup for the trailer but I was hoping there were cheaper options. I don't know why all rims aren't tubeless compatible nowadays in 2021. I could maybe find some wider cheapo BMX rims and set them up with ghetto tubeless or something but that's a hassle too.
I'm with you: why are any rims not tubeless ready?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts