Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a super basic hardtail. I want something to putt around town on, and something for my girlfriend to ride the couple times a year she goes out.

I have a ton of spares, so the build spec doesnt really matter to me, but it needs to be tapered. And disc too, but I doubt anything tapered isnt disc. Travel isnt a big deal, 80-120 is just fine. Rear axle standard and spacing doesnt matter.

Considering all the spares I have, I figured id just build a frame up, but the frame-only options seem to greatly exceed the cost of an entire low end bike! I dont need something high end, its going to get tens of miles a year.

Anything stand out as a great value? Spec pitch is $499, but Id really rather not own a spec.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'll sell you my old Brand-X HT-01 for $100. Nothing wrong with it. Just moved to steel ;-)

CRC has pretty good prices on frames. Make sure to use all your spares, pretty hard to build a full(decent) bike for under $500 if you ask me.

·
Registered
215 Posts
A month ago I bought an REI co-op DRT 1.2. It's a simple basic 27.5 with discs and a tapered head tube. It was more expensive than the Specialized but the REI bike is about the most comfortable bike I've ridden, that's why I bought it. I did not like the Specialized when I rode it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.