Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I though I'd ask here, even if weight for this purchase doesn't matter a thing to me. You seem to be the ones with the most ISIS knowledge on MTBR.

I have 2 sets of 180mm RaceFace Turbines in ISIS, one in square taper. One ISIS is on my race-only bike with FSA Platinum Ti or something, still going strong after 200km.
Other ISIS is the second on the crankset, a Raceface XC I think. before that a Truvativ which died quickly. This crankset is on a commuter, which doesn't even see much rain. I think it was 1500km when the bearings started to make funny noises and increased pedal drag significantly. No bad play has developped, but the creaking noice when pedaling slightly harder than "soft" is really bad. The Truvativs also developped bad play when the bearings died, but they remained silent.

Which ISIS BB will see me manage decent mileage? Please come with the cheapest recommendation, as when money would nog be an object, I'd get some of those funky SKF bearing BB's or something. This is a commuter bike and beach racer, not worth investing into, and I don't grant the bad ISIS standard more of my money than absolutely necessary.

Thanks in advance!!

Happy trails,

J

·
Ex-Gunslinger
180 Posts
Have you had a look at the Token BB's? If your after something cheap the model TK873AL (Cromo) is almost a third of the price of the Ti version (which I'm using on my light bike with no problems) and has the same X-Long bearing on the drive side. My commuter is running a Token square taper BB with no problem also. The Token stuff seems good value from what I've seen/used.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have had better luck with Race Face in this category than both Truvativ and XT. Yes I know they are not exactly the same, but close enough for reference.

Personnally, I would ask if there are any ISIS BBs that don't suck. I have never gone through a BB before going to ISIS/Shimano Splined. I went through 2 XTs, and 2 Truvativs, respectively. I ended up with a Race Face for the last ride, and hope it does well for its new owner.

Since going to outboard bearing/integrated setup, my confidence has improved. Only time will really tell, but the concept makes sense. And, NO, I don't pressure wash my bikes. The bearings tend to last longer than my contemporaries, and I think I am on something like 12 years on my current King headset with no rebuild. It just goes from bike to bike to bike. Hell, my eggbeaters have lasted two years, and we know how they like to disintegrate when not maintained properly.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
When it's time to replace the ISIS BB I've got I'm going to look at the following:

SKF. Pricey but has a good name behind it.
FSA - I've had pretty good luck with their Platinum BB. It was about a 250g BB, and it's still functioning, but it's also on the trainer bike.
Race Face Signature - seen some good, and some bad reviews. Seen from almost all of 'em though that RF is honoring the warranty.

Good luck,

JmZ

Cloxxki said:
I though I'd ask here, even if weight for this purchase doesn't matter a thing to me. You seem to be the ones with the most ISIS knowledge on MTBR.

I have 2 sets of 180mm RaceFace Turbines in ISIS, one in square taper. One ISIS is on my race-only bike with FSA Platinum Ti or something, still going strong after 200km.
Other ISIS is the second on the crankset, a Raceface XC I think. before that a Truvativ which died quickly. This crankset is on a commuter, which doesn't even see much rain. I think it was 1500km when the bearings started to make funny noises and increased pedal drag significantly. No bad play has developped, but the creaking noice when pedaling slightly harder than "soft" is really bad. The Truvativs also developped bad play when the bearings died, but they remained silent.

Which ISIS BB will see me manage decent mileage? Please come with the cheapest recommendation, as when money would nog be an object, I'd get some of those funky SKF bearing BB's or something. This is a commuter bike and beach racer, not worth investing into, and I don't grant the bad ISIS standard more of my money than absolutely necessary.

Thanks in advance!!

Happy trails,

J

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all.
I traded MTBR poster English Bob a seat clamp for some Truvativ that he'd used in an FR bike some time. It was noisy in the hand, but I put grease in all places that seemed to be subject to greasing, and those were many.
My bike now runs dead-silent again, and I can't help but think it's actually faster.

Can't someone produce a hybrid of outboard and ISIS? Something bulky to be used on current ISIS cranks. The ISIS interface at the BB being mounted an outboard bearing. And the 2 cup/interfaces interconnected with a spindle to keep cranks stif and aligned.

·
fella
272 Posts

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
479 Posts
Cloxxki said:
Not surprising the design only seems to work with 73mm shells, which is what I've got I hope these will prove to be bomb-proof!
Cloxxki,
where did you see 73mm? The link
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BB408C14-Fsa+Platinum+Megaexo+Isis+Bb.aspx
sent me to the FSA Platinum Megaexo which is 63x113 or 68x118 in the chromoly version. I too am in the need of a 73mm Isis BB for a GF 29er.

On the flip side the Truvativ Isis SL BBs (OEM takeoff) are $15 a pop. Do they suck so bad that this is not a good deal?
How heavy are they?
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BB506C00-Truvativ+Isis+Sl+Bottom+Bracket+Oe.aspx

Cheers,
Marty

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.