Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this really should be in the drivetrain forum, but I'm a 29er guy and I know many of you like the 1x systems. I am currently running a 1x9 setup, and would really like to go 1x10 this season. Has anyone found deals on XTR, XX or XO parts?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I scored x9 10spd stuff on ebay. Very far and few to find great deals since 10spd is relatively new
:(

·
Registered
156 Posts
im selling a new in box X0 groupo that I am looking to sell for cheap, I have not paid for the spam post yet but if you PM me I can give you details.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Gotta second that opinion. That is what I am running on my geared 29er. Works great with the 36t cassette and costs bunches less :thumbsup:

·
Rider and Wrench
1,478 Posts
The cheapest is sticking with 1X9....

I prefer Shimano so went with a ~$70 xt 11-36, and just a right xtr 980 shifter for $100, found an xtr 980 rear der for ~$135- $45 for xtr 980 chain $350

..cheap no but I prefer to buy once, plus finding a single x9 or xt rear shifter is tough so you end up with a pair you don't need, and You could get an XT rear der for ~$80 with very little difference in performance-

·
Big Boy
978 Posts
chainlove had xo rear der. for 120$ and shifters for 149$. This was a screaming deal, but you gotta wait it out.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
texasnavy05 said:
chainlove had xo rear der. for 120$ and shifters for 149$. This was a screaming deal, but you gotta wait it out.
Those sold out fast, I wouldn't expect to see them again.

I would look at SLX. You can use your 9 speed crank/chainring, no need to replace that. Just get a rear shifter, derailleur, cassette and chain.

·
Always Learning
9,607 Posts
twenty6black said:
hey....just put a 12-36 cassette on there and your done....1X9 but you have a 32 - 36 for the lowest gear.
Or 11-36T 9 speed Ti cassette. (202g) Type in Recon Ti cassette 11-36 in Google and some links to places that sell them come up. Or search the Weight Weenies forum for pictures and links. Should be around $215-225 plus shipping.

Seems like my previous post was removed because I offered the actual links (imagine that?:madman: ) to where you can purchase. So no links this time.

If you go with the big range 9 speed 11-36T cassette - you get the full range of gearing found in the new 10 speed set ups, but there is no need for a new shifter, new rear derailleur and new chain. You just use your current system.

BB

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
knottshore said:
The cheapest is sticking with 1X9....

I prefer Shimano so went with a ~$70 xt 11-36, and just a right xtr 980 shifter for $100, found an xtr 980 rear der for ~$135- $45 for xtr 980 chain $350

..cheap no but I prefer to buy once, plus finding a single x9 or xt rear shifter is tough so you end up with a pair you don't need, and You could get an XT rear der for ~$80 with very little difference in performance-
Where did you find a 11-36 xt cassette 9 speed ?

·
Rider and Wrench
1,478 Posts
thickfog said:
Where did you find a 11-36 xt cassette 9 speed ?
:)
The" 1X9" comment was a tounge in cheek answer for the cheapest 1X10 ... there is not a 9 speed XT 11-36 cassette that I am aware of.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
knottshore said:
:)
The" 1X9" comment was a tounge in cheek answer for the cheapest 1X10 ... there is not a 9 speed XT 11-36 cassette that I am aware of.
Ahh, that was my initial thought, but had to check to be sure xt wasn't out. Bummer. I was excited for a second. We my never see xt 36. They'd rather force us into all new 10 speed gear.
Time to split a cassette up and make my own.

·
or die try'n
112 Posts
XT M-771 and here's why!

The Shimano M771 is 6.5 mm wider than the SLX or the Xt m770. Problem is that the plastic spacer is on the drive side only, so the crank can't be centered on the frame. Score an extra spacer from Shimano, grind both spacers down to 3mm or so and place one on each side of the BB and your centered. But here is the kicker. The M771 spider is different and deeper, and the rings are 26, 36, 48. By recentering the 3mm spacers the chainline changes inward from a 50mm to a 47mm, which in my opinion is better suited to the 1 x 10 setup. Also you have the option to keep the 36 middle or go to a 2 x 10 and run the 26, 36. This is an outstanding gear ratio for a 29er.
Good Luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts