Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
Can you bleed your brakes cheaper by making your own bleed kit?

1. Use aquarium air hose for bleed hose?
2. Use lower priced mineral oil, such as the Finish Line one?

The kits are too much for what you get.

Thanks in advance

·
trail addict
1,866 Posts
veritechy said:
Hi all,
Can you bleed your brakes cheaper by making your own bleed kit?

1. Use fishing supply air hose for bleed hose?
2. Use lower priced mineral oil, such as the Finish Line one?

The kits are too much for what you get.

Thanks in advance
Bleed hose can be whatever you want, as long as it fits snug. I got some tubing at the hardware store, had the bike outside, so I just asked if I could take a tiny piece of tubing out to the parking lot to see if it fit. When I found the right size, I bought like 18 inches or so.

As for cheaper mineral oil, to some, that is taboo. Others will say mineral oil is mineral oil....

I am pleased with my Pentosin CHF 7.1. It is a mineral oil hydraulic fluid used in some european auto s for power steering or something. From the research I did, it sounded very compatible. $15 or so will get you a liter, which should be a lifetime of brake bleeds for my XTs. Problem is, most regular auto parts places don't stock it, but a google search should turn up some companies that will ship it to you.

Yeah the kits are pricey... just be smart about what you do because there are a lot of things that could potentially foul up you brake system.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Uncle Six Pack said:
Yeah the kits are pricey... just be smart about what you do because there are a lot of things that could potentially foul up you brake system.
Thanks Uncle Six Pack:thumbsup:
Exactly the kind of helpful feedback that I was looking for!
I was thinking the same thing about the mineral oil. The price of your kit is about the same as the Shimano one, but will last for a lifetime of brake bleeds. Too pricey to pay about $12/year.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I use fish tank pump air tubing and cheap assed mineral oil from walgreens. Been running it for 1 year. I have the shimano stuff in the rear, the cheapo stuff in the front. No noticeable loss of power, or any changes what-so-ever. Take it for what it is worth!

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
This is a good question.

I'm in a similar boat.

Recently I messed up my brakes the night before a morning ride. So I had to run out to Walgreens and pick up some baby oil to flush the front brake. Worked. Still running it.

This week, I had to remove the hose from the rear caliper as I was transferring the brakes to another bike (had to get past the Lefty clamp). Now I have to bleed the rears. But thought maybe I'd get some tubing and maybe a syringe or squeeze bottle to help the process.

I know that proper oil will help run more consistently in more extreme weather or braking conditions. So I think I will want to change out to a more suitable oil.

Are there any other write ups on DIY bleed kits?

On my front brake, I had the caliper off the bike and inserted a small stack of nylone spacers to hold the pistons back. Then I used an 8mm box wrench to open and shut as I squeezed the lever making sure to keep the resevoir topped off. Since it was baby oil, I didn't care that I was making a mess all over the garage floor and on my hands and stuff. But now that I've got a little more time, would like to make the process a little more...methodical.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
traffic002 said:
This is a good question.

I'm in a similar boat.

Recently I messed up my brakes the night before a morning ride. So I had to run out to Walgreens and pick up some baby oil to flush the front brake. Worked. Still running it.

This week, I had to remove the hose from the rear caliper as I was transferring the brakes to another bike (had to get past the Lefty clamp). Now I have to bleed the rears. But thought maybe I'd get some tubing and maybe a syringe or squeeze bottle to help the process.

I know that proper oil will help run more consistently in more extreme weather or braking conditions. So I think I will want to change out to a more suitable oil.

Are there any other write ups on DIY bleed kits?

On my front brake, I had the caliper off the bike and inserted a small stack of nylone spacers to hold the pistons back. Then I used an 8mm box wrench to open and shut as I squeezed the lever making sure to keep the resevoir topped off. Since it was baby oil, I didn't care that I was making a mess all over the garage floor and on my hands and stuff. But now that I've got a little more time, would like to make the process a little more...methodical.
Bottom up bleed is great for Shimano's

Get a piece of plastic tubing and a srynge (drug store)....wire tie the srynge to the tubing.

Open up the resevior then crack the bleed nut on the caliper.

Slip the tubing over the bleed nut and push oil in, watch the reservior fill, if it is going to over flow and you want to exchange some more oil, suck a bit out of the reservior with the srynge....

Real fast and you shouldn't spill a drop.

Trick you have to have all the air bled out of the plastic tube before you put it on the bleed nut, or you push air into the system. Not hard to do nurses do the flick flick thing with the srynge upside down all the time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.