Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!!!
hi...
would like to know if the disc brakes on most bikes in the $500 to $700 dollar range are as good as V brakes that may be found on a $1100 to $1300 dollar bike or vice versa?????
any input would be great!!!!!!

thanks

·
Samsonite Tester
3,993 Posts
Rock the avid bb7's . They are leaps above the best rim brake. Use ebc red pads for max control and power.

Then Hayes nine are a solid brake . These are leaps above the ONLY mech avid bb7. Now better then Hayes 9 , magura louise fr , imo these are light years beyond rim brakes. Worth every penny.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Tough question

bellsguns said:
HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!!!
hi...
would like to know if the disc brakes on most bikes in the $500 to $700 dollar range are as good as V brakes that may be found on a $1100 to $1300 dollar bike or vice versa?????
any input would be great!!!!!!

thanks
But as a general rule, I'd say that the disc set ups on bikes in the $500 range are going to be sub-standard. Some in the $700 range might have Avid BB 5's. From what I can see, bikes in the $1100-$1300 range that offer V brakes typically offer a better than average V ( Avid SD 3 or SD 5, for example). Which is better? That's a debate that we'll never get the answer to as it can be so very subjective. If I had a choice between say a set of Avid FR 5 V's or a set of Tektro discs, I'd probably take the Avid SD 5.

Too many variables to give an accurate answer, IMO. If I had to generalize, the V's on the <$1000 bike will be typically of "better" quality, and discs on bikes >$500 will typically be of "good" quality.

I hope this helps answer your q.

Bob

·
Registered
916 Posts
A 500$ with v-brake wil brake like crap...

All disk brake are good if adjusted well maybe except those hayes mx-3... mx-2 are okay (still better then v-brake) and my hayes mx-1 are awesome !

Unless you buy realy expensive v-brake nothing will beat disk

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Specialized Hardrock Comp Disk - MSRP $600
FRONT BRAKE Hayes HMX-2 XC, mechanical disc with 6" wave cut rotor
REAR BRAKE Hayes HMX-2 XC, mechanical disc with 6" wave cut rotor

My father-in-law just bought this bike and these brakes shocked the heck out of me how good they were.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
It depends

bellsguns said:
can i add a disc?
can i add disc to just the front??
thanks
Yes, so long as the fork has disc tabs, and your front hub is disc ready. No reason you can't put a disc up front and still run rim brakes in the rear. Many people use this option.

Bob

·
Samsonite Tester
3,993 Posts
bellsguns said:
can i add a disc?
can i add disc to just the front??
thanks
Your hub has to be disk ready. Does it have a six bolt flange on the left side ? The fork will also need to have caliper mount holes or posts if it is a Manitou.

·
Why so uptite?
975 Posts
For many people V-Brakes are fine. On my XC bike i am running the XTR V's w/ Mavic CrossMax wheels (ceramic surfaced) I use the Ceramic Pads and it works great. If i was building a Free ride or DH bike i would use discs.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Lumbee1 said:
Specialized Hardrock Comp Disk - MSRP $600
FRONT BRAKE Hayes HMX-2 XC, mechanical disc with 6" wave cut rotor
REAR BRAKE Hayes HMX-2 XC, mechanical disc with 6" wave cut rotor

My father-in-law just bought this bike and these brakes shocked the heck out of me how good they were.
I have the same brakes on my Giant Yukon and once they're tuned properly they work very well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts