Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, what are some fairly inexpensive upgrade options to the stock v brakes? My rears are great but the fronts shake like every component involved in brakin is completely warped. I took the bike back into the shop a couple weeks after I bought it and was told this was normal and that I would need to upgrade to solve this convulsing.

So, it's a year later and I definitely need to do something, what do you recommend? Also, would it be best to upgrade both the front and back or leave the back intact as they seem to work well? My riding is probably 50/50 street and trail.

Muchas Gracias amigos

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
Only one V brake...

I can recommend Avid Arch Rivals, which I still have as my rear brake (Hope Mini up front). I use KoolStop pads, though you may need to find the pads which are most compatible with your rims. I also an Avid SD 1.9 lever.
I am a big, big fan of the Arch Rivals. Putting aside the obvious differences between disc and V, the Avid's performance is not far off that of the Hope. Assuming you fit the correct pads for your rims/weather you'll get excellent bite and modulation, they're tremendously powerful brakes. I've tried Shimano LX and XT V's and they pale in comparison.
I think they retail at about $50 each with levers on top, though ebay might be worth a look. I picked mine up for £25 ($40) for a pair with levers (best £25 I've ever spent).
Check out the reviews...

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Brake_System/product_20477.shtml

peace, Steve.

·
I Love my Rize
830 Posts
Forget that Shimano crap

Homercles said:
Hey all, what are some fairly inexpensive upgrade options to the stock v brakes? My rears are great but the fronts shake like every component involved in brakin is completely warped. I took the bike back into the shop a couple weeks after I bought it and was told this was normal and that I would need to upgrade to solve this convulsing.

So, it's a year later and I definitely need to do something, what do you recommend? Also, would it be best to upgrade both the front and back or leave the back intact as they seem to work well? My riding is probably 50/50 street and trail.

Muchas Gracias amigos
These are the BEST V BRAKES FOR THE MONEY Read the reviews on these they are correct. Highest rated ot of all of them with 200 + reviews Get them with the matching levers at all costs.

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Brake_System/product_78255.shtml

http://www.blueskycycling.com/produ...-Brakes-w--Avid-Speed-Dial-7-Levers-Combo.htm

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey all, I apologize for the very later reply. I definitely need to do some reading on the options that you've all been kind enough to list but avid sounds like the way to go.

Another question though, my good buddy offered the v-brakes off of his santa cruz superlight, they are unused. I honestly do not know the make or model of them but the price is right :)

Thanks again!

·
Unchained Freewheel
283 Posts
I have tried avid,pauls,sram 7.0's,dia-compe,lx,xt,and xtr,I use XTR with Kool Stop salmon,but yes,for the $$$,the avid 7's are damn good.Cheaper then my XTR's and
95% as powerful.The pads the 7's from avid come with are not the greatest though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.