Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 old tires + 176 #6 x 3/8" sheet metal screws + 2 hours with a drill and screw driver = studded snow tires :thumbsup: Total cost = $6 instead of $60 ea tire for ChengShins or $120 ea for Nokians. These things really work too- great on packed snow and ice.

Hey Earthpig, I finally found a way to improve the cornering abilities of the Cortez tires!

Attachments

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used the pan head phillips screws and will add liners, but so far they're working without. The worst part was mounting them back on- use gloves or suffer the consequences! OUCH

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They'll work in Utah too! ;) My friends and I did this in SLC a long time ago. Don't put the screws down the middle or they'll get driven back into the tire (and tube!) I'm running about 15 psi and the tire flexes at the contact patch so the screws grip. By putting them on the sides you get traction when cornering. Oh, yeah the #6x3/8" screws are a little hard to find- I checked Lowes and Home Depot in Boise and (and SLC) and ended up finding them at my local little hardware store.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Wayndar said:
They'll work in Utah too! ;) My friends and I did this in SLC a long time ago. Don't put the screws down the middle or they'll get driven back into the tire (and tube!) I'm running about 15 psi and the tire flexes at the contact patch so the screws grip. By putting them on the sides you get traction when cornering. Oh, yeah the #6x3/8" screws are a little hard to find- I checked Lowes and Home Depot in Boise and (and SLC) and ended up finding them at my local little hardware store.
Thanks! I've got a few extra sets of tires to start experimenting on. #6x3/8"...got it.:thumbsup:

·
blet drive
2,178 Posts
very nice you can duct tape the inside as well to help protect the tube... or just run some snow chains... will post pick up of them when i get home.. but it is all good and making your own is way more fun..

oh and the trails are great with this new dusting...

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
No thanks. I prefer the Nokians...and after 4 seasons of use commuting on black ice and riding in the Foothills...I'll still buy another set...if the set I use ever wear down. Sure the initial cost is high. However, the cost/time vs. benefit has been very good. No need to replace screws every season (screws wear out fast if you commute) and I can run low pressures w/o worry of screw heads pinching the tube.

And yes, I've done the homemade studded tire thing. I even used carbide studs, double layer of duck tape, and liners. They still don't work as well as the Nokian Extreme 294 and Mount & Ground I have now. As for the chains, just like automotive chains, they have a design speed limit, and are not recommended for black ice/paved conditions due to premature wear. And besides...they ride horrible on glare ice.

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
50 bucks....

obrianmcc said:
For commuting I'd say you would want the real studded tires...I can see haw screws aren't going to last long...for off road only I'll give the cheap option a try first.....although screws still cost me 20 bucks at Lowes!
I think I got my Mount & Ground for $50 w/o shipping. I would have gave you my homemade studded tires, if I had known you needed some. Hell, they have carbide automotive studs pounded in!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.