Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Bikes, Beer, and Sex
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm new to this forum and was just wondering if anyone knows of any shops that give good deals on parts. I don't want POS parts but I don't want to pay alot for it. I'm needing a front sprocket (44t), I bent a few teeth and broke a couple on the one I have now. If anyone has any advice I'm open to it, Thanks

·
Bikes, Beer, and Sex
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No way dude, thats where I got my bike and when they put it together they had the brake lines twisted.

·
dirt visionary
6,505 Posts
Get a bash guard and do away with the 3rd chainring....problem solved :D

·
dirt visionary
6,505 Posts
??? Na a real bash guard. It replaces the 3rd chainring altogether.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
motorcyclemike said:
No way dude, thats where I got my bike and when they put it together they had the brake lines twisted.
What do you expect from a bike shop that sells at a discount rate? Are you looking for cheap parts, or cheap labor?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,989 Posts
I got a big chainring on my RFX...it got no teef anymore cause I ground em down on rocks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It all depends on who put your bike together buddy. You asked I told you. There are two shops up north that are discount places that do good work.

·
EDR
10,143 Posts
If you want to get mainstream parts for the least money then it's the online dealers that can hook you up. Of course with shipping added on to one small chainring, it's no better than buying locally.

·
Bikes, Beer, and Sex
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I was looking at jenson and they had some for pretty cheap, I just don't want to wait for it I want to ride asap. DNA qouted me 99 bucks, **** I can get a sprocket for my motorcycle cheaper than that

·
EDR
10,143 Posts
motorcyclemike said:
Yeah I was looking at jenson and they had some for pretty cheap, I just don't want to wait for it I want to ride asap. DNA qouted me 99 bucks, **** I can get a sprocket for my motorcycle cheaper than that
99 bucks for a chainring??? Was this DNA in east Mesa by any chance? They quoted me $40 to replace a broken spoke and true the wheel......I went to Cactus and they did it on the spot for $16. I have had several retarded experiences with DNA.

At any rate you can get a complete 3 ring RF chainring set around $55 online, at least last time I checked.

Anyhow, like others have said, ditch the big ring for a bash guard. Do you really need a big ring? A good and cheap bashring is the BBG for about 12 bucks.

·
Gold it's the new Pink!
535 Posts
Go down to Kore on the Scottsdale/Tempe border. Scottsdale rd between McDowell and McKellips on the west side of the rd. Ryan is the owner and a great buddy of mine. He may need to order your part in but he will get you hooked up. He is one of the few people I trust to work on my bike.

Crimson

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
pick a chop that has a good rep, then buy from them alot. eventually you will get a great deal on stuff. some shops are great, some arent. i have had great service from landis, and horrible. dna the same. global might do some subpar maint here and there, but the group that is there is the same group that has been there for a while. dont get me started about cactus. wayyyyy overpriced on labor. but again only in the circumstances i had to deal with them in.

or take the route i take. i hate all lbs and avoid them at all costs. do all of my own maint and only use them for what i need them for. do i get any deals? no. but i dont expect them either.

·
dirt visionary
6,505 Posts
99 bucks for a chainrig............you have xtr cranks ?

·
Bikes, Beer, and Sex
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just pulled it off and its actually a 36t, the guy at DNA told me it was a 44 and I just took his word for it since I hadn't counted it. No I don't have xtr cranks, their stylos

G

·
motorcyclemike said:
I just pulled it off and its actually a 36t, the guy at DNA told me it was a 44 and I just took his word for it since I hadn't counted it. No I don't have xtr cranks, their stylos

Just a FYI, you can buy an entire new set of Stylo cranks with rings and bottom bracket for less than $70...

Go to a respected shop, Rage Cylces in Scottsdale, Kore in Tempe or Cactus Bike in Ahwatukee and they should be able to find you a reasonably prices chain ring.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
motorcyclemike said:
FYI, but I think most large chain rings say how many teeth on them (look for something like 36T or 44T).

·
Bikes, Beer, and Sex
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I finally found one today after going to 4 shops bicycle showcase had one, I wasn't even going there I just couldn't find landis so just went in there. Wasn't too bad either only 35 bucks

1 - 20 of 28 Posts