Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the XM317 wheelset and whatever rim strips that come with that build. So far I have blown out the rear (possibly induced by a pinch) and just the other day got a pinch flat on the front. What baffles me about the front is that there was nothing else that caused the tire to loose air to the point of a pinch. No thorns or anything.

So my question is whether cheap rim strips can cause pinch flats or not. If so, I need to replace these things.

Thanks

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
shiggy said:
Rim strips cause pinch flats? No.

Cause flats by cutting the tube (sharp edge on the strip) or exposing the spoke holes? Yes.
My flat the other day had 2 nice little 2mm cuts about a rim strip width apart. So it looks like the strip is the culprit. What rim strips are better and should I replace these or was this possibly just a fluke?

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dan Gerous said:
It looks like it's the rim strip but my guess is that, when the tube is inflated, the two cuts are located right where the tube gets pinched...
The tube was already inflated and had several rides on it. Something cut the tube in the course of the ride and it had plenty of air to start with. I found no thorns or anything that caused it to deflate. Only the 2 little cuts I had mentioned. So I can't explain it except that during the ride the rim strip cut the tube.

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, I had a blowout about a week ago that I couldn't explain. It was a huge blowout too and if you look at the picture it was along the rim strip area where it blew.

Attachments

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
Well, if you really think it's the rim strip, change it, it's not too expensive anyway. The last time I used rim strips, I put some Continental cloth tape. It sticks to the bottom of the rim cavity and doesn't move around to avoid exposing a spoke hole. I don't know how much it cost, my LBS just gave me a big roll of it.

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
supercorsa said:
velox. been around forever and it's still the best. only stuff i'll use.
Cool. I was just looking at that. For about $5 I can ensure that I don't have repeat issues like this... Sounds like a bargain to me.

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
shiggy said:
I do not use Velox because it is so thick it can make mounting and removing tires a PITA.
Depends on the tire I would imagine. I can dismount my CrossMark's without tools and mount them back on as well without any levers. Not quite sure if that is a good thing or not but is makes easy flat fixins..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.