Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently broke my rear dt swiss thru axle (the kind with the lever so can unscrew by hand, other end is threaded so screws into frame dropout). Was gonna replace with an MRP race axle ($40) ,but is there any reason I cant just use an M12 1.75 180 mm length allen head bolt ($6) besides weight? Would there be a problem if the threaded part extends into the hub spindle?

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,874 Posts
the threads might start to score the hub and create fracture points. also there may be more overall play as the edge of the threads wear down over time. you might want to make a paper tube around the bolt, fill the threads with standard cold jbweld, run the paper tube over the threads when the jbweld is like putty, therefore making a smooth axle and that would likely be safer long term and not cut or score the hub

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the threads might start to score the hub and create fracture points. also there may be more overall play as the edge of the threads wear down over time. you might want to make a paper tube around the bolt, fill the threads with standard cold jbweld, run the paper tube over the threads when the jbweld is like putty, therefore making a smooth axle and that would likely be safer long term and not cut or score the hub
Thanks. Its a hope hub, I thought the axle just clamped the spindle tight between the dropouts and the weight wouldnt really rest on the central part of the axle? The xtra work to fill in the threads wouldnt be worth it. I suppose I could search for a bolt that has just a 18 mm long threaded end like teh axle but I guess thatd be hard to find.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,874 Posts
really the answer is find a proper bike axle on the cheap (bike shop spares, ebay, where ever)

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Recently broke my rear dt swiss thru axle (the kind with the lever so can unscrew by hand, other end is threaded so screws into frame dropout). Was gonna replace with an MRP race axle ($40) ,but is there any reason I cant just use an M12 1.75 180 mm length allen head bolt ($6) besides weight? Would there be a problem if the threaded part extends into the hub spindle?
What size axle? I have a DT Swiss RWS, which sounds like what you have. I bought it and it had the wrong threads and didn't work for me. I'll let it go for cheap.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
180 mm, 12 mm wide, 1.75 thread. But, I already ordered an mrp race axle. Of course, after that I saw the Brand X axles at CRC for $17. D'oh!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.