Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of you 66SL owners are aware of some of the horror stories of the compression knob getting snapped off at the bottom of the fork...or maybe just having the knob fall off. I had the knob's retaining screw loctited, but was still a little concerned about impact. Yesterday I made sure the adjuster was at my preferred setting, and then pulled the knob off. The knob is in my Camelback now. I cut a piece of automotive fuel/oil rubber hose that fits the end of the damper cart where it extends out of the lower fork leg. I used a small hose clamp and attached the hose over the whole end of the cart and adjuster tip, leaving the hose long enough to extend past the tip where the knob attached. This type of automotive hose is thick and strong with fibers and layers in the hose. It looks like it will protect the adjuster end quite well.

Attachments

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
TNC said:
Most of you 66SL owners are aware of some of the horror stories of the compression knob getting snapped off at the bottom of the fork...or maybe just having the knob fall off. I had the knob's retaining screw loctited, but was still a little concerned about impact. Yesterday I made sure the adjuster was at my preferred setting, and then pulled the knob off. The knob is in my Camelback now. I cut a piece of automotive fuel/oil rubber hose that fits the end of the damper cart where it extends out of the lower fork leg. I used a small hose clamp and attached the hose over the whole end of the cart and adjuster tip, leaving the hose long enough to extend past the tip where the knob attached. This type of automotive hose is thick and strong with fibers and layers in the hose. It looks like it will protect the adjuster end quite well.
Nice work!

You could loctite the screw which holds the knob, back in there, to still be able to adjust your settings.

_MK

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,214 Posts
TNC...... Good call! You could also slap one of those rubber vacuum plug thingies on the end as well. They have 'em at most autoparts stores in various sizes.

Attachments

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Very nice!

Do you play banjo too?

Nice, cheap insurance for an expensive fork. Thanks for posting it.

Bob

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
I'm part of the clan

SSINGA said:
Hey.....watch the banjo jokes pal. Us folks in Georgia might get offended! :p :D
My father was the son of sharecroppers in Arkansas. I share the ******* lineage! :thumbsup:

Bob

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MK, good point on the screw. I never adjust it once I found where I like it, but that would provide an easier adjustment option on the trail than carrying this heavy alloy knob and having to dig it out of the Camelback. Good call, I'm gonna put it back in there just in case. Hey, do you know if that screw is steel or alloy? I'm trying to drop some weight...LOL!

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
TNC said:
MK, good point on the screw. I never adjust it once I found where I like it, but that would provide an easier adjustment option on the trail than carrying this heavy alloy knob and having to dig it out of the Camelback. Good call, I'm gonna put it back in there just in case. Hey, do you know if that screw is steel or alloy? I'm trying to drop some weight...LOL!
:D I think it was aluminum alloy rather than steel alloy, but an alloy, regardless, so no need to spend extra dough on a different alloy. :thumbsup:

_MK

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.