Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
enjoys skidding
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas

I don't know much about jump bikes, but recently I've been getting into it a little (I usually ride XC and dabble in some DH). I need your help!

I have an old Craftworks Slalom Pro that I'd like to use for learning to do jumps and the like. This isn't mine, but mine is a simliar build..

I rode it for about 5 years and rode the thing into the ground. Basically the frame, handlebars (clubroost DH risers) and headstem are in good nick, and everything else is probably a waste of time for a jump bike, or stuffed.

So I need to find a good heap of swag to chuck on it (which is cheap, but not cheap enough to break on me). Basically I want to set it up as a singlespeed with a bmx rear axle/hub (as my dropouts allow that), on some good rims with probably just a rear disc brake (but i want the option to run a front). I want some cheapish but good quality forks (don't know whats suitable for jumping), and then I'll need new cranks and bottom bracket too.

Any suggestions would be great. :thumbsup: I'm just trying to figure out if I'm better off building this up, or getting something like a Trail or Park.. Cheers

·
enjoys skidding
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I don't really have a set budget at the moment.. but the idea is to keep it as low as possible. For a whole bike I'd probably be looking at around $1000 US

I was hoping to get a downhill bike in the next year or so (my current bike is a Kona Coiler), and I was considering a Bottle Rocket, but I was a bit worried that it'll be too heavy for dirt jump/park stuff..

·
Registered
752 Posts
f0ggy said:
get something else, its not worth putting money into, a top would be a good choice, whats your budget looking like
I disagree. Put a stance static with a 20mm TA on it. Get some wheels with a XT rear hub and replace the QR axle with a BMX axle. Convert the hub to SS with spacers and a cog. Learn on this bike and then upgrade.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
if you were to use that frame, you wouldent want to put a stance static or any similar short travel jump fork. that frames looks designed around 130-150mm of travel. get a manitou stance flow, it can be adjusted anywhere between 120mm-150mm of travel.

but for $1000.00 get something like a specialized P. series or look into the kona dirt jump series, they're usually very bombproof.

·
dirt rules
3,050 Posts
Nashbar SS rear hub $35
FSA Nasty Boy Cranks $110
Decent fork, several hundred. (go short travel, 80mm)
Buy good parts and eventually you can replace the frame.
If you buy a complete bike for $7-800, it will get you going, but you will eventually replace most of the parts anyway.

·
enjoys skidding
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the suggestions fellas....

I'm not sure what to do - both arguments have their merits (and thats what I've thought all along). I'm beginning to think I'll just get a Trail or Park.

Do you need front brakes for skate park stuff? I know you don't necessarily need them, but would you be able to do more if you had them?

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
most likely you'll be able to do less. one less brake is one less thing to slow you down. my buddies took theirs off to save weight, and to feel like they wouldent be able to stop, so they would hit the jump or whatever anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.