Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Price Point's got a Sette Reken (never heard of them) hardtail selling for $70 bucks. Cheap. But is it any good. I won't be hucking or racing, just fireroads, roads, and towning with this one.

Anyone got one?

Also, what about those old Schwinn Homegrown frames?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Can't be bad (or great) for the price.

Schwinn Homegrowns seem to be very popular. Must have hit a sweetspot design and quality wise.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,913 Posts
Why doesn't anyone use the bloody search function on here before posting ?!?

·
thecentralscrutinizer
2,969 Posts
myitch said:
Price Point's got a Sette Reken (never heard of them) hardtail selling for $70 bucks. Cheap. But is it any good. I won't be hucking or racing, just fireroads, roads, and towning with this one.

Anyone got one?

Also, what about those old Schwinn Homegrown frames?
Don't know that you can beat the Sette frame for $70. Looks okay. Does Schwinn even offer the Homegrown anymore??

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yeah, just after I posted this I saw there actually were reviews on this Sette frame. The reviews are all glowing and positive. Too positive in fact. You'd expect to see at least a few negative reviews but ALL positive?! Hmm. But hey, for $70! A couple of reviewers said the Sette has a more AM geometry than XC. Which is good for me.

They stopped making the Homegrown's like 10 yrs ago. But these are definitely XC geometry and dont have disc brake mounts.

I was really wondering if anyone had personal current experience with either the Homegrown or the Sette.

·
Banned
144 Posts
No......I have a hard time trusting something so inexpensive....but I could be wrong.I do own a Ibex trophy hardtail, $400.00 but only weighs 3 lbs, have a 2004 and used the saved money to buy Marzocchi fork, Ibex sells online only and it is possible the frame could be discounted further.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Just because something is cheap doesn't mean its bad... its just cheap.. or perhaps they should mark it up to gain the consumer's trust? I don't get it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Also, it could just be the few they have left so they are trying to get rid of them. (either they already made enough money on the others they sold or they couldnt sell them!)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Out of curiosity I read up on this frame. Some owners are saying it's more of an all-mountain frame than an XC frame despite being called XC. Also, the specs show it as 4.3 or 4.5 lbs. That's heavy for an XC frame, isn't it?

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I think the schwinn homegrown sells for around 150-200 on ebay and is 3.5 pounds, but it doesn't have disc tabs. From what I see, most 3-3.2 pound frames are pretty expensive, more than $300. Jamis has a carbon seatstay HT frame that sold for $225 around Xmas time and that was 3.99 pounds.

4.3-4.5 sounds like a 70 dollar frame to me.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks, boomn. I'll check out those links too.

Funny how pricing works. Sometimes if its too cheap, people think low quality. Makes sense. A carbon seatstay frame for 3 bills isn't bad too. But at just under 4 pounds its about the same weight as the Homegrowns.

I checked out that Leader frame. Looks pretty nice and reviews here are good too. Only thing about this one is the zero stack headset. That adds another $40 and some forks might have clearance problems when turning the bars past 90 degrees (hitting the downtube), especially on a small frame like I'd need.

Still thinking....$70 is not bad at all for second, thrasher bike, even if the frame is heavier than most HTs...if only by about a pound. But again, that one pound cannot be reduced later.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I bought a Reken last winter and built it up with 100mm fork and sram X9. I love the bike, but I wouldn't call it AM. With the 100mm fork it does sit back a bit, but my other ride is a XC with 80mm. I wouldn't huck this bike, but I've taken small (1-5 ft) jumps and it's held up fine. I'd say go with it, I loved that bike.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It's probably only a few tenths of a pound heavier than a typical reasonable-cost XC frame. You can get frames that are a pound or more lighter but they are very expensive. This isn't the "weight weenies" forum!

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Offtime3123 said:
I bought a Reken last winter and built it up with 100mm fork and sram X9. I love the bike, but I wouldn't call it AM. With the 100mm fork it does sit back a bit, but my other ride is a XC with 80mm. I wouldn't huck this bike, but I've taken small (1-5 ft) jumps and it's held up fine. I'd say go with it, I loved that bike.
Sounds good.

What's your parts build and approximate weight?

·
Banned
144 Posts
read the thread?

jlk_250 said:
It's probably only a few tenths of a pound heavier than a typical reasonable-cost XC frame. You can get frames that are a pound or more lighter but they are very expensive. This isn't the "weight weenies" forum!
Ibex trophy hardail...$399.00......3.1 lb, they are online sales only as I said earlier and it is not junk, put a Kona label on it and it sells for $700.00.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts