Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Are there any real bargains out there for rear cassette rear wheels? I'm thinking of a spare wheel I can throw on my MC29er for occasional gearie use. Maybe a comfort bike or touring bike rear wheel? If they are 130mm spaced with a cup and cone bearing setup, it would be easy to replace the QR axle with a solid nut axle and respace to 135mm, I would think. I would still need it to be wide enough to support mountiain sized tires. I have an old beater road bike wheel (found on the side of the road!) that might work with a new axle, but the hoop is like 3/4" wide.... what is that, 19mm? Bontrager Mustang rims are 22mm wide, IIRC.

This isn't something I would expect to be super durable. I'm thinking for just buff singletrack or bike paths with the wife and kid.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Well, there is a new set of handmade Mavic rims with Deore hubs with a buy it now price of 129.99 right now on ebay. I was thinking of doing the same thing myself. I don't know of any rear wheels only though. Everytime I want to do something with my bike it becomes a slippery slope of additional expenses....lol.

For example "oh cool, I'll just slap some geared wheels on there, throw a deralleur on there and roll out". Oh yeah and I'll want some extra tires to mount on those rims $60 more bucks, a cassette $25, new chain $15, bigger 38t chainring $25, chain guide $?, and some discs $50....and that little derailluer hanger adapter peice. By the time I do all this, I'm almost up to the purchase price of the Monocog.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
In Europe we have the luxury of a developped trekking bike market. LBS's sometimes even stock simple Deore/Rigida wheels, or cheaper yet. Deore non-disc hubs are great value in terms of durability and weight.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Second that...

Cloxxki said:
In Europe we have the luxury of a developped trekking bike market. LBS's sometimes even stock simple Deore/Rigida wheels, or cheaper yet. Deore non-disc hubs are great value in terms of durability and weight.
Yeah, I've run several wheels with Deore hubs, and no issues, long lasting bearings, good quality and cheap, if a bit heavy.... but even XT hubs are heavy. I'm not opposed to Deore at all.

I'll prolly just end up building something. I've seen Salsa 29er hoops for $30, then add $30 worth of spokes and nipples, then find a used Deore or XT disc hub for cheap and build it up myself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.