Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i'm coming off of riding a DJ hardtail. I was wondering what can I get for cheap ? I only want to spend around 700-900 dollars, now I know that isnt a lot for a freeride FS bike, but its all I have. I was looking into the Haro X6. my riding style is like downhill/freeride/AllMountain but I've been told before "ohh, get a kona stinky" well the stinky cant be had for 900 bucks, I've watched those for months. what can I get for like 800 bucks ? or 900 bucks ? is the X6 a good choice ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
You really will not get a decent freeride fully for that price range. I think a stinky will cost you at least like $1400 if you go new. You may be able to find something in that price range used. If you want new, then that is really just not enough money for a freeride full suspension bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MTBFreerideCT said:
You really will not get a decent freeride fully for that price range. I think a stinky will cost you at least like $1400 if you go new. You may be able to find something in that price range used. If you want new, then that is really just not enough money for a freeride full suspension bike.
no, the new Stinkys are 2K I am willing to go used, but most in my pricerange has been ridden REALLY hard and is like 5+ years old
 

·
Cynical Bystander
Joined
·
6,770 Posts
Check out used stuff, you can usually find some used bighits and things around that price. Check ebay, classifieds here, on pinkbike and on ridemonkey and there's bound to be something sweet for the price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,396 Posts
COmtbiker12 said:
Check out used stuff, you can usually find some used bighits and things around that price. Check ebay, classifieds here, on pinkbike and on ridemonkey and there's bound to be something sweet for the price.
even better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JBsoxB said:
even better.
isnt a bighit going to be a killer though ? the X6 is like ... 31 LBS this year, arent most bighits like .... 42 ? I would like to be able to go uphill with this bike as well as down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
685 Posts
It might just be easier to build it up with a frame, then slowly get componenents if it's possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
345 Posts
mondaycurse said:
It might just be easier to build it up with a frame, then slowly get componenents if it's possible.
If I had to do over again, this is probably the route I would go. You get exactly what you want. Since you have a bike to ride as you build it, this may be a good option for you.

With that said, I did pick up an '04 Haro X2 (somewhat similar to the X6) as my first full suspension bike & am very pleased with it. I got it brand new for $600. There are things I'd like to change on it, but it gets the job done & is fun to ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mondaycurse said:
It might just be easier to build it up with a frame, then slowly get componenents if it's possible.
yea, thats easily possible. because I have a P.2 that i've upgraded a lot, so I have a lot of the stock parts ...hehe it would look pretty funny seeing a bighit with a EXR comp :p but thats the best I could do at the moment

all the parts I have are
shimano deore/ rhynolite wheelset
Marzocchi EXR comp
hussefelt stem/ Specialized bar

and other parts could slowly come in I guess ...would be painful though, would want to ride it, you know ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
kramonut said:
If I had to do over again, this is probably the route I would go. You get exactly what you want. Since you have a bike to ride as you build it, this may be a good option for you.

With that said, I did pick up an '04 Haro X2 (somewhat similar to the X6) as my first full suspension bike & am very pleased with it. I got it brand new for $600. There are things I'd like to change on it, but it gets the job done & is fun to ride.
Good to know, sadly I dont think i'll get the X6 ...mostly because there are deals that might come up, like this one guy who lives 20 miles from my house is selling a 2003 bighit expert for like 900 bucks
sadly I dont have all the money at the moment
:(
 

·
kona-tize me captain
Joined
·
3,117 Posts
why not do a frame swap, get a stinky then take the parts from ur dj and out it on the stinky, im debatign whether to sell my stinky frame or not
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
austinb89 said:
why not do a frame swap, get a stinky then take the parts from ur dj and out it on the stinky, im debatign whether to sell my stinky frame or not
then I wont have a HT. I ride mostly urban/park/trail and DJ so I need a HT. but I want a fully for the 2006 season, because i'm going to go out and rip up some harder terrign
 

·
Portland, OR
Joined
·
3,112 Posts
Yea, I agree, I think you should get a used frame and build up. Thats what i'm thinking about doing. get like the 05 Stinky frame. you can get nicer used parts. I saw a 02 Boxxer sell for like 160 bucks last weekend ! The Haro will hold up for a while, but I think it is more light freeride and trail than harder freeride and downhill type riding. With a Stinky or bighit or whatever you can get, its probably going to be stronger. I know a lot of people like the X series, but I think there are better frames out there... + the components just really suck for 900 bucks. I mean you could make a nice start on a lot nicer of a bike than your fully.

you should invest in some cheap used cranks and use the hussefelt cranks on your fully. kinda downgrade your P.2 because it isnt going to really need the hussefelt, you could get away with something cheaper.
 

·
SNOWRIDER
Joined
·
1,564 Posts
You def should look at used frames then build her the way you want...

I got my Norco team dh frame (brand new frame warranteed from Norco) never had a component on her with Fox shock and Hadley/321 rear wheel for 400 US
 

·
...for I am a raindog too
Joined
·
267 Posts
Ironhorse...

Also, look at some of the 05 IH Yakuza Fully's. You might be able to pick one up for super cheap on closeout soon and then use extra $$ for upgrades. I've never ridden one, but everyone that has seems to be impressed with the price to quality to value ratio.

Oh, and has anyone mentioned (Look Used)....ha ha he he...
 

·
No longer riding a haro!
Joined
·
725 Posts
Haro's are nice. Wanna buy an 04' Haro extreme x1 frame with abuncha parts (derailluers, shifters, headset, seat with post and clamp) for $250? Or just the frame for $200!

Anyway, good luck with getting a new ride! :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,094 Posts
specialized big hit...i've been seeing a few of them going for 900ish on ebay. i almost bought one cause it sold for 900 but then i remembered where i live and then cried cause i wanted it but had no use for it. :(
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top