Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ebay aside, is there anywhere that sells cheaper Full Suspension frames? Like the kind that would come on a sub-$1000 bike, but only the frame itself? It seems that every company only sells its high-end frames separately. I personally don't have the kind of money to put into something like that (starving college kid and all that). I just need something decent, no y-frames or weird like the Cannondale Scalpel, atleast 3 or 4 in of travel, suitable for xc. Anyone seen ANYTHING like this? Thanks

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
sub-$1000 bikes aren't what most brands consider their 'high-end frames'. But most mail-order stores which deal in ripping down clearout bikes to sell OEM parts off (like jensonusa, pricepoint, wheelworld, etc) will sell the frames too. Jenson is typically good for Jamis and KHS, Wheelworld for Kona, etc.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, I keep tabs on everything I'm interested in on ebay, but I'd feel much more comfortable buying through a store. I've asked a few lbs around where I live and they say that they never sell cheaper frames. The closest thing I've found to what I want is probably wheelworld

·
Banned
462 Posts
Yea, I noticed the Kona frames on Wheelworld, the prices don't seem too bad especially when you use their 20% off coupon. Check out the best deals forum to see if it's still around.

You might also want to check out speedgoat

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
maybe more thn you want to spend , but greenfish has mountain cycle fury frames for $699.00 sick frame at a good price, but i beleive that mountain cycle is no longer around.

·
Registered
121 Posts
A few good choices out there. i just pulled the trigger on the Kikapu at 20% off, but rode a GT for a while and really liked it. That one above is a pretty nice light version and I bet would ride great. Some good fork deals, especially at Greenfish as well.

Good luck

·
Registered
149 Posts
fisherking said:
A few good choices out there. i just pulled the trigger on the Kikapu at 20% off, but rode a GT for a while and really liked it. That one above is a pretty nice light version and I bet would ride great. Some good fork deals, especially at Greenfish as well.

Good luck
I just ordered that frame, couldn't beat it for $320

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
nah none of the lbs at school or home do cheaper frames, and if I got a complete bike then I'd just be wasting a lot of components. I've got good components now, just need a decent frame.

·
Registered
51 Posts
At Wheelworld, they have the Kona Kikapu w/ Fox Float for $399, or Kikapu w/ Fox Vanilla coil-over for $299. Both look like the plain jane version, no compression/rebound/lockout, both 100mm.
I'm kind of leaning toward the one w/ Vanilla, because it seems like the coilover will be a little more durable than an air shock, and I like the gold frame better!
Or would it be worth the extra $80 to get the Float? I haven't kept up w/ rear shock tech lately.

Kikapu w/ Fox Vanilla
http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&id=4213

Kikapu w/ Fox Float
http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&id=4214

·
Registered
121 Posts
I just got my kikapu from there in gold with the coil over. I bought the cheaper one and ordered a manitou 3-way from santa-cruz for $99 to kind of get the best of both worlds. The frame looks great, going to build it up this weekend hopefully. It is a bit heavier than I expected at 6.7lbs but the coil has got to be a bear, will check it again with the other shock. I am going to try to ride it both ways to see the difference. Will post with any results.
My feeling was the float wasn't worth it since it isn't an R and doesn't have propedal.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.