Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I'm looking for a cheap hardtail frame.
The largest tires that I'm going to use are 26x3.0 (so there is no need for a pugsley frame or another non - standardframe); I've searched a lot but it is very rare to find, in the technical description of a frame, the tire clearance...
I'm not considering surly because in Italy their frames are too expensive...

I'm 186cm tall, so I think that any dirt/ jump frame would be too small, maybe I should be looking for a cruiser frame?

Thanks for your help.

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
Many frames made for 29" wheels will fit a 26 x 3" tire. I've put them in the back of my Surly Karate Monkey and my former Gary Fisher Rig. Two different Alaskan companies are coming out with aluminum endomorph ready frames in the 5/600 USD range. Not sure how much they would bludgeon you on shipping though.

·
Bike Fiend
146 Posts
What brands are affordable in Italy?

As Sean mentioned, a Fisher Rig is an option. I've also seen pics of a Kona Unit 2-9 with a large marge/2.7" tire.

Don't rule out a freeride hardtail - I have a freeride hardtail (Fisher GED) with a 25.5" top tube... I'm +200cm and it fits me well. Just be weary of claimed tire clearance. There is sooooo much inconsistency in tire width measurements. Fisher claims a 2.5" tire will fit in my GED (which I highly doubt).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the answers :)
All the major brands are quite cheap in Italy (1$ = €).
I've found these... There is some good stuff, anyway it seems that a 26x3.0 clearance is impossible to obtain...

knolly free radical... it seems quit expensive
on one
ragley
sanderson ?
sette shadow

Attachments

·
Registered
978 Posts
Some of the frames / bikes you posted are not really what you would call Cheap...
The Free Radical is amazing, if it could only take 29" wheel I would be all over it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I know that some are not cheap...
Anyway it wasn't exactly an easy research, so I decided to post anyway my results, hoping that they could interest someone :)
The tire clearance isn't an information relevant to the general public (why, oh why??), so it is very often omitted from the tecnical data. I posted the photos of some frames that seem to have more clearance than usual.
The *sette* seems to be the best deal.
I will try to repost my question on another forum maybe on a dirt - urban frame discussion board.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts