Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a college student used to riding and racing high end (xt and xtr) bicycles, and am having a bit of a tough time looking for a bike to ride around campus. I have set my budget around $400 to $450, and I am looking for advice on bikes in that range that will look, feel, and perform pretty nicely. Ideally, It would be nice to have a hard tail with some sort of adjustable rebound fork and Deore or LX components, but so far that seems a couple of hundred dollars over my head. I know my sights may just be set too high, but it can't hurt to ask. Thanks!

·
Made in Canada
415 Posts
Myself, I'm going to uni next year and have been anticipating making a bike for this exact purpose. This may not be fully ideal for you but it will get you a cheap beater bike that you won't have to worry about getting stolen. Consider buying a used HT (you could get a good framed bike for a lot cheaper than new w/ decent hubs etc), the drivetrain probably isn't the greatest if used so you can swap that out and make the bike into a single speed conversion. This will give you a cheap and reliable bike that if locked up you shouldn't have to worry about getting stolen, especially when you commute. I'm doing a similar thing, I have my old HT that I'm converting from Deore (stock 2002) to an SS and replacing the front fork w/ a rigid. This'll be cheap but give me a reliable bike. Just some food for thought. Otherwise you might want to check out Ibex bikes, you can get a bike running Sram x7 for $800 or so with decent components, Avid BB7s etc.

·
slightly strange
97 Posts
In that price range a new bike like that would be hard to find. I'd keep a watch on local classifieds, craigslist, and on here for a decent used one. The singlespeed conversion tpm7 suggested sounds like a good idea too.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yes, watch the craigslist ads in your area every day for a week and you'll get a good idea of the variety on offer. Don't worry about absurdly high asking prices (even above MSRP!) for used bikes -- if you make a fair offer (say, 1/2 MSRP for a 3-5 year old bike w/good quality frame in excellent condition) and leave your email, you'll get a decent bike. The more patient you are, the better the deal you'll be able to get.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks and how about this?

Thanks for all the good info. Right now it looks like I am going to try to be patient and watch craigslist and ebay to see if any great deals come up. In the mean time, has anyone had any experience with anything on this site: http://bikesdirect.com/products/mountain_bikes.htm They seem to have pretty good prices, although I have never seen anyone with a Motobecane mtb...

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Here's a thought

Take your $450, and just hand it to some stranger on campus. That's austensibly what you'll be doing if you spend that money on a bike to ride around campus, as the likelihood of it getting stolen is pretty high.

Buy a beater bike. Something nobody would want to steal. Better yet, spray paint it some ugly color, dress it up with duct tape and make it look as unattractive as possible. Don't spend more than $100. Seriously.

Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.