Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Team Fearless Descender
1,976 Posts
Hey, hope you are able to ride thid weekend. I'm getting over my cold, and with the amazing weather here in SoCal, we gotta get out for a little test ride.

We'll turn you into a photographer yet!

Attachments

·
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
3,844 Posts
That is the same shock I've been rockin', no complaints really. Certainly works better than the Manitou ISX Air shock I had before. We're actually running pretty similar setups: KS post, DHXC 3.0, Lyrik.....

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Test Ride

Okay, so this was my first ride ever on a coil shock. It was good, but a little different than what I expected. I did a very basic 8mi loop, mostly fire-road with some rocky single track and a few sweet jumps mixed in. I was really surprised by how little bob I got -- slightly less than the stock RP23 with propedal off, slightly more than with it on setting 1. The DHX 3.0 has its propedal adjustment set internally, and is not adjustable. So the bike pedaled great, but it wasn't quite as bottomless as I expected. Suspension action was very smooth but firm. Trail feed back was apparent. The bike tracked the terrain extremely well, but didn't float over bumps like I expected with a coil-over. Can't say I was blown away, but it was my first attempt at dialing it in.

Any suggestions? Is there a break-in period?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
How much do you weigh?

450 lb spring fits a rider from 185 -215 lbs. On my DT with the 5.0 I run one click of propedal most of the time unless we do some extended climbing then I put about 5 clicks in, so a preset propedal value may be a bit too high for your liking. I would try running the minimum boost pressure which is 150 or 175 psi (it says on the chamber). I am about 195-200 with gear and my Titanium Diverse 450 lb spring feels a bit firm sometimes, I've often wanted to try a 400 lb. spring.

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm 190lbs, so about 200 geared up. Sag looks to be perfect with a 450lbs spring. I found a tuning tips page on Fox's website, which gave me some ideas. I'm going to try lowering the boost pressure and reducing preload. I had the boost set to 140 as suggested by the Knolly site. The min is 125, so unfortunately, I can't really drop it much more.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
dulyebr said:
I'm 190lbs, so about 200 geared up. Sag looks to be perfect with a 450lbs spring. I found a tuning tips page on Fox's website, which gave me some ideas. I'm going to try lowering the boost pressure and reducing preload. I had the boost set to 140 as suggested by the Knolly site. The min is 125, so unfortunately, I can't really drop it much more.
Hi dulyebr:

One thing to remember with the recommended settings on our website is that they are with a Fox DHX 5.0; that shock has a volume adjuster as well, and our setting are with the volume towards the large end of its size range (i.e. least aggressive ramp up). I don't know what the "fixed" volume of the DHX 3.0 is, but I would assume that it's probably in the mid-range of the DHX 5.0's volume. Hence, you might have some success running a slightly lower pressure than what we recommend on our website.

Secondly, as others have pointed out, the amount of Propedal is fixed on the DHX 3.0, so that might possibly impede getting the smoothest initial stroke possible on a Fox coil shock.

Just a few things to think about....

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
nice thing is push is starting to do their mx tune soon. the mx tune costs the same on a dhx3 as a dh5 and gives you custom tuning for your weight and riding styke plus independent high and low compression as well as rebound. with a cheap shocj=k like the dhx3 you can add the mx tune and have a sweet shock for near the cost of a dhx5. i bought a cheap used dhx3 just for this purpose. as soon as they start ding the mx tune again i'm sending mine in as well as my 36 talas.

http://www.pushindustries.com/2009/...ducts&title=FOX DHX 3.0/4.0/5.0&product_id=16

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
qbert2000 said:
nice thing is push is starting to do their mx tune soon. the mx tune costs the same on a dhx3 as a dh5 and gives you custom tuning for your weight and riding styke plus independent high and low compression as well as rebound. with a cheap shocj=k like the dhx3 you can add the mx tune and have a sweet shock for near the cost of a dhx5. i bought a cheap used dhx3 just for this purpose. as soon as they start ding the mx tune again i'm sending mine in as well as my 36 talas.

http://www.pushindustries.com/2009/...ducts&title=FOX DHX 3.0/4.0/5.0&product_id=16
was thinking along the same lines when I bot the 3.0. but, not sure i want to invest another $299 into this frame. The endorphin mark II (among other frames) is probably coming soon, and a Push tune is not something I'd expect to get much back on when it comes time put it up on ebay.

Getting ready to head out for another test run. I've drop the boost psi to 125, which is the minimum. And, I've backed off the preload a little. Hopefully that helps.

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So found out some interesting information about this shock. First, it was meant for a Giant Reign X. Not that it matters because, according to Fox, the DHX 3.0 is not tuned for specific frames as the Floats are. Propedal and bottom-out are set to the mid-setting. That means 7-8 clicks of propedal, and while this is unadjustable, propedal and boost work together. From what I understand you can mitigate propedal somewhat by lowering boost pressure. I now have the boost set to the minimum pressure (125psi), and have minimum preload on the spring (one turn). It has really opened things up in terms of smoothness. I'm still not blown away as I expected, but maybe over time it will continue to break-in. So far I have to give the nod to the 2007 rp23, which is probably over-due for a servicing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.