Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
881 - 900 of 9391 Posts

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
Just spent a couple hours or more reading through the whole thread. It was soooo worth it. Thank you guys. And thank you MTBR :)
+rep for taking the time to read the thread, instead of doing the lazy noob thing by asking questions that have been answered multiple times already in earlier posts ;)

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
I read Roger's book the other night, and his stand did look impressive. I would like to know some alternatives to the metal peices he used to support the axle, because I don't have machine tools readily available. I also don't have any cutting tools. I am scared of saws, :eekster:

I am wondering if I can get by on a sub $100 truing stand from amazon or ebay. My natural inclination is to get a park ts 2.2 but that is probably way too much tool for the 4-5 wheel sets I may build over the next few years.

I will talk to my father in law who has much more wood working material to see if he wants to work on a project with me. It could be a good bonding experience. Thanks for the replies guys.
I just have a cheapo Performance Bike Forte wheel truing stand. It works great. Just remember not to go by the dishing gauge built in because you can slide it back and forth, unless you blow the extra dough on a truing stand centering tool. Better to use the turing guides and flip the wheel over often to be sure it's straight and centered. IIRC, they go for like $80, but occasionally go on mega-sale for cheaper. If you need to build offset wheels (like for a Pugsly) this is probably not such a good choice, but just about all wheels are built dead center.

Spin Doctor Truing Stand II - Bike Tools / Bike Workstands

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Mounted a Renegade Control tubeless on my rear AM rim last weekend. Fit was as tight as Ikon, but it took air easier. This is not a surprise considering it has a much smoother bead than the Ikon. Just another data point for you all.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Got mine laced up sunday night. Lefty front hub, DT 240 12x142 rear. Sapium lasers for the front. 1/2 lasers, 1/2 DT race for the rear. They need to be finshed up/trued. So far with no tape they came in at 1515grams.

·
Shameless Plug!
120 Posts
very good

Those rims look awesome. I wish they would work with my I9 hubs.
I've been running them on my I-9s for a few months or so. Best wheels I've ever ridden. A burp or two to begin with, but since I threw in a Bonty tubeless rim strip they've held up perfectly for about 15+ rides now. FWIW, I destroy a lot of ****...

Attachments

·
meh
1,213 Posts
how do the schwalbes seal up, pretty easily? all i run are nobby nics and have always been able to seat them with zero drama
also, are those the wide rims, and are your tires ust or standard?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I've been running them on my I-9s for a few months or so. Best wheels I've ever ridden. A burp or two to begin with, but since I threw in a Bonty tubeless rim strip they've held up perfectly for about 15+ rides now. FWIW, I destroy a lot of ****...
Good to hear they are working for you. Not surprised you had a few burps with Scwalbe tires.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I ordered February 1st and received a tracking number on the 16th, that was during Chinese new year.

Just finished lacing up the rim (UD matte, 32h) with an Extralite Hyperlefty hub and Sapim CX rays, 641 grams. Hopefully I can ride the wheel over the weekend but so far I've been impressed.

·
Registered
109 Posts
16 days from ordering would equate to march 28th for me. maybe its just a lot of backlog they are dealing with, i don't know. i wish they would answer my emails though i just want to know whats happening but i can wait.

·
mtbr member
655 Posts
bquinn, what tire(s) are you using with the rim strip? how thick is the rim strip?
Racing Ralph SS 2.25's. One layer of Stan's 25mm tape. Thickness?
Absolutely zero issues so far. Hold air great. Ride at ~25psi front, 27psi rear ( I weigh 170 ). Best part of my bike for sure!

·
meh
1,213 Posts
16 days from ordering would equate to march 28th for me. maybe its just a lot of backlog they are dealing with, i don't know. i wish they would answer my emails though i just want to know whats happening but i can wait.
try the chat feature on the website...i haven't had any problems with that method, but have a had 1 out of 3 emails not responded to

·
Registered
932 Posts
Well I ordered a pair of road rims from them on 3/19 and it took them 10 business days instead of 7 days to complete. Nancy was out of the office on Monday 4/2, but I spoke with somebody else and they said that the shipping carrier was out on vacation/holiday until today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wheels built...

Hi All... FWIW, here's my build spec:

DT 240s (15 thru front, 10 RWS rear.. CL rotors)
DT Revo's, 32 hole, 3X front and rear (294mm all around.. worked out fine)
rims are the lighter, narrower spec.. 3K matte. (385g-ish each)

i have no idea how much they weigh, gotta find a scale. this 'cheap' wheel build still cost me about $900 total and that's with the bro-deal on the hubs and spokes!! cheaper than ENVE's, but still a bit of cash.

what are folks doing for tape? i was thinking 1-2 wraps of the 25mm wide Stans tape. i'm pretty light, and using special-guys tires. reading thru the postings it would seem like that *should* work... -smoove.

Attachments

881 - 900 of 9391 Posts