Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know for a fact that you can't really get a good quality bike for under around 400 bucks. Here's my problem, I barely have 200. Now I'm wondering if I should just buy a cheaper bike now, (I'm not looking to be too serious about my riding) or should i wait until christmas to ask for a nice bike. Im 14 so I can't work yet, otherwise I would be working everyday to save up. I pretty much know that everyone's gonna say wait and get a good bike, but I was just wondering if anyone had different opinions. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It all depends......

nybsbll24 said:
I know for a fact that you can't really get a good quality bike for under around 400 bucks. Here's my problem, I barely have 200. Now I'm wondering if I should just buy a cheaper bike now, (I'm not looking to be too serious about my riding) or should i wait until christmas to ask for a nice bike. Im 14 so I can't work yet, otherwise I would be working everyday to save up. I pretty much know that everyone's gonna say wait and get a good bike, but I was just wondering if anyone had different opinions. Thanks for any help.
What kind of riding are you planning on? You can get a used bike off of ebay for pretty cheap. It might be a couple of years old but it will be much better than what you can get new with $200. I might wait until Christmas and ask the folks to help you get a nicer bike, but if you need one now, check out ebay and classified's here. Also you might not want to get a really expensive bike anyways as your still young and growing. You will probably outgrow your bike, so keep this in mind. Good luck!

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
I know you want to ride now, I had the same problem when I was 14. I went and blew 200$ on a mongoose and regretted it. Its a waste. You can work. I did lawns untill I had enough to buy a Klein. I rode that for a year, and when I outgrew that, I sold it and saved up some more and got an FSR. Now I have an FSR and a Klein attitude that I just bought. Saying you cant work is not true. I am 17, have never had a real job, and own 2 nice bikes that my parents did not pay for. You cant work at Burger King or anything like that, but you can still make money. If you really want a bike right now, spend as little as you have to. Get a hardtail. Any mart cheap rear suspension looks cool, but doesnt work for $hit.

·
outdoor miner
5,516 Posts
go ebay, or beg on MTBR classifieds

nybsbll24 said:

Don't wait, just shop around.

I didn't have much cash a couple of years ago and spent $300 on the MTBR classifieds and eneded up with a bike that more than did the job.

Used bikes only get cheaper, so now, if you post a wanted ad, you might pick up something pretty good for $200.

It is a risk, you might have to live with a worn drivetrain, which can get expensive.

At that price range, try to find something local-ish that you can pick up (and look at), as shipping is likely to be $50 or so.

Still, ebay has decent bikes that people are offloading for various reasons, and just want to be rid of.

If I was you, I'd be looking for something that a girlfriend (or ex-girlfriend) never rode a whole lot. Go hardtail.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I started out with an old Trek 7000 that I found on ebay for $150. It was close enough I could pick it up and avoid shipping charges. I've upgraded most everything on it now, but to be honest, a lot of that wasn't really necessary, just a bad case of upgraditis, LOL. It's still a solid bike. Ugly frame, but solid and with great components now.

·
Registered
79 Posts
hardtail

I agree with theredmantra, get a hardtail. You'll maximize your money. There are a lot of very good positive and negative reviews on this site. Use them, look at framesets, complete bikes, and components. Look into lifespan too, I know from experience that there are some components out there that are real 'maintanence hogs' and some bikes are likewise money pits for replacement parts, I'm not talking the low end stuff either. With a hardtail there are fewer moving parts, the theory goes, therefore, less things to break. Not always true, but usually. Look for a replaceable deraillure hanger and a good fit in a frame.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
I can 2nd the used route, but..

nybsbll24 said:
It's easy to say buy used from Ebay, put up a post for the classifieds here. It ignores one very basic fact though. You are supposed to be 18 for Ebay and the classifieds here require a credit card.

I've had hit or miss luck with the classifeds in the local newspaper, from friends of friends, and the like. Don't be afraid of getting a used bike, but if you are not sure what to look at/out for make sure you take along someone who does.

My little bro got a beater bike (off Ebay) that's given him a few problems. (Too small of a frame, 1" threaded headset, and weird rear dropouts. But he paid under $100 for a bike that used to go for about 8-9X the price. So for a beater bike around campus he's been happy. So it depends on what you can spend and what expectations you'll have. (He bought this one to save his good bike for real riding.)

JmZ

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
The solution is obvious

Compose an articulate, persuasive "Dear Santa" letter, explaining why you'd like your Christmas present a little earlier. Among the points you could make:

- You've been a good boy all year (for the most part)
- Biking is healthy
- If you receive a new bike in December, you'll have to wait until March or April to ride it (assuming you live in a state with seasons)
- You won't expect any gifts this Christmas ("Imagination Christmas! Yay!")

When I was 14, I got a stereo from JC Penney, complete with turntable, dual cassette deck and an 8-track (which was outdated even then!) I thought it was the best gift EVER. I already had a bike, after all- a three-speed Schwinn cruiser. :rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts