Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I already have a FS 29er (HiFi) but I am wanting a really cheap 29er to ride to class and on greenways with my girlfriend. I am leaning towards singlespeed, possibly rigid (especially because of my price range). If I go singlespeed, I would plan to take it on moderate trails once in a while though. Here is the kicker...it needs to be under $400. I don't mind buying used but I noticed the Outcast 29er on bikes direct for $350. Kind of skeptical about the quality though and if it could even be taken on the occasional trail. If there is a geared 29er for cheap, should I consider buying this and converting to ss? Any suggestions on bikes or different ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT: Also considering Monocog 29er but don't know how much they run new or used.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a green stock Monocog 29er that is in almost new condition that I dont ride. Its a 17" with a 42T chainring for commuting. I have an Inbred 29er SS and a 6" 26er for the trails, so this bike hasnt seen much riding. I'd let it go for $300.

·
3,707 Posts
^^ That monocog seems to be a great deal. I love those green ones, too. I'd go with the Monocog over the others, since it's made of steel. I had the Outcast 29er, but didn't like the aluminum when on the trails. I like the geometry on the Monocog better, as well.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Dayum....I'd a jumped on that green MC! Been looking for a 17" greenie for about 3 clams.
Just as well, with job insecurity being what 'tis.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would buy his, but I am 6',1" and need a large I believe. I found a place near me that has a 2008 19" Monocog 29er (brand new) for $453 including tax. Sound like a decent deal?

·
Virtus pre nummis
367 Posts
I bought my 09 Monocog 29er at my LBS for $450.00 + tax and a helment $500.00 out the door. Added disc brakes $125.00 and a set of Schwable Big Apple 29ers for $80.00. I'm 6' weighing in at 275lbs at 62 years old, man on man what a bike! This this is a brusier crusier!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Your profile indicates that you're from NC which, as far as I know, is Performance country. Look for an '08 GT peace hardtail ... steel frame and solid components. I got mine for $350 (plus 10% back).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts