Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
REALLY?
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found this new - I'm not looking for anything expensive and this bike fits about how much I want to spend (400.00$ or less) - this bike will be mostly used for urban/light offroad and camping. Does anyone know of this frame is decent, I've never owned a Motobecane?

·
Registered
7,493 Posts
I'd say go for it. There's no short cut to quality on a bicycle so there's got to be some compromises in its construction, but you can always replace parts with something better as they wear out or when you can afford them.

And at $400 it will still be a better bicycle than a $1,000 bike which has gears and suspension.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Was looking for a SS 29er too, went with a Redline Monocog and Monocog Flight.

Why? Resale value. With the other motobecane offerings you get some great components that you could swap onto a nicer frame down the road. With the SS 29er from Moto there is nothing worth swapping and the bike is not going to retain its resale value like a more recognizeable name brand bike.

I bought a trek 1000 for commuting for 550 and a year later sold it for 500. You would be lucky to fetch 200 for the Moto a year down the road.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
i just recently was in the same spot. i chose the redline over the moto mainly because of the steel frame, but it also has better components and gearing. check to see if there is a local lbs that deals with redline. my lbs ordered me a 08 monocog a couple months ago for 435$. it came with 32/20 gearing, which was exactly what i wanted. they can probably ordered it with whatever cog you want.

but, i love that white outcast frame . . . oh, also, i think some of the newer outcast are coming with disk brake tabs, but the older frames didn't have them, fwiw.

·
REALLY?
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Normally I would switch over to the Redline now, I prefer steel over aluminum and like the disc brakes on the Redline, but I think I will stick to the Moto as of I can put racks on it, there are frame eyelets, which I may need to do for camping, plus I'm trying to keep the price down. Also I found some reviewes on the Moto after I posted - and the reviews sound promising aside from a few part upgrades. Thanks for the input everyone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.