Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
SSasquatch
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Looking into building up a cheapo 29er to see how I like it. I am looking at the monocog 29er (not the flight), Zion 737ebb, and Surly Karate Monkey. Each frame is in the 250-300 range. I currently ride a monocog 26 and love it, but I wouldn't mind if I could get something abit lighter. Anyone know the frame weights for these frames?

If they are all within a 1/2 pound or so of each other I am inclined to go with the monocog because I'm already familiar with its little brother, but if the zion or surly are significantly lighter I'd consider either of those as well. I'd love to hear pros and cons of each.

·
Don't be a sheep
3,445 Posts
galleywench said:
Hi all,
Looking into building up a cheapo 29er to see how I like it. I am looking at the monocog 29er (not the flight), Zion 737ebb, and Surly Karate Monkey. Each frame is in the 250-300 range. I currently ride a monocog 26 and love it, but I wouldn't mind if I could get something abit lighter. Anyone know the frame weights for these frames?

If they are all within a 1/2 pound or so of each other I am inclined to go with the monocog because I'm already familiar with its little brother, but if the zion or surly are significantly lighter I'd consider either of those as well. I'd love to hear pros and cons of each.
Just considering material I'd assume the Zion to be the lightest with the Surly and Redline very similar. Neither is light by any stretch, weighing upwards of 1.5lbs heavier than the lightest offerings so I'd go with what works best for you.

·
Front Range Cyclist
944 Posts
I'd suggest looking at Astrix (astrixsports.com). The Rook is only $499 for a frame and weighs 4lbs for a large, so pretty light for the price. You'll save a decent amount of weight over the rest. I really like mine and think it's s hidden gem as the company isn't that big.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,473 Posts
Soma...

My Soma Juice, 18", which I think they call a large came in at about 4.75# (I'm 6' tall). Pretty darn light. The BB was too flexy for SS applications so I converted it to a 1x9. For the price I'm pretty happy with the frame as the 1x9 thing worked out pretty well (oh well, I guess gears aren't all bad.) The headtube is a bit too short for my liking but I find that the case on most bikes I have. The paint chips pretty easily but the red is looking great while it lasts.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
galleywench said:
Hi all,
Surly lists their Karate Monkey frame weights on their website:

http://www.surlybikes.com/karatemonkey.html

S= 5.16 lbs.

M = 5.34 lbs.

L = 5.56 lbs.

XL = 5.69 lbs.

I would assume that the websites of the other frames you are looking into would have their information as well. Or an email/phone call to them would yield the answer.

BB (I've got my XL Karate Monkey built up as a geared, V-brake 23.9 lb. bike)

·
Registered
96 Posts
FYI, I believe the Surly frame is about the same cost as the On One Inbred. I just got my Inbred and I am very happy with it. Can't give you an exact weight but the bike is nimble and feels pretty light when I pick it up. Just one more to consider.

-VTB

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
FYI - you can also order the Jamis Exile as a frame only (might include a fork too) and the Haro Mary comes in a frame and fork combo.

Don't forget the Qball either if you definitely want to go with steel.

·
Registered
234 Posts
jocko said:
My 19.5in Inbred came in at about 5.6 lbs. Swapping out the sliders from the stock steel to lighter alloy version would save about 80-100 grams.
19.5" Inbred bare frame was 5.1 lbs. With the stock SS steel sliders and Salsa seat post flip lock it is 5.5 lbs.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
I don't have an exact weight...

... but I have an MC29er, and it is frickin heavy. Built up, it comes in at 27.5 lbs as the stock Redline build. My trailbike with suspension and gears is lighter.

That said, it rides pretty lightly. It sings on swoopy singletrack. I was tossing it all over the place today at Tamarancho. Fun stuff. It only lagged on the climbs because of the weight.

Now, it may only be heavy because of the low-rent components hanging all over it... although the stem is light!

·
SSasquatch
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
seat_boy said:
I recently bought a MC 29er from pricepoint. On our baby scale (don't tell my wife!) it weighed 6 lb 4oz (19"). The fork (uncut) was 2 lb 14oz. Built up with ordinary parts, it's 26 pounds.

Eric
Wow, that is a pretty big diff if your scale is accurate. 6.25 vs 5.69 for XL Karate Monkey... I am not a weight weenie by any stretch, but I don't see any reason to add extra weight just for fun. I know I will be happy with Monocog but for roughly the same price I could be happy with a lighter Karate Monkey.
Decisions decisions...

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
galleywench said:
Wow, that is a pretty big diff if your scale is accurate. 6.25 vs 5.69 for XL Karate Monkey... I am not a weight weenie by any stretch, but I don't see any reason to add extra weight just for fun. I know I will be happy with Monocog but for roughly the same price I could be happy with a lighter Karate Monkey.
Decisions decisions...
Three things made drove me to the MC over the KM:

1- It's cheaper

2- It's single speed only, so I don't have all the extra braze ons I didn't want

3- It has a longer top tube with a shorter stand over height, both good things.

That being said, I did look pretty hard at the Soma. I just like the way it looks.

Eric

·
cat5
25 Posts
To me the beauty of the MC29 is that, for the price of the KM frame, you can ride away from the bike shop. If it works for you you can upgrade as needed and you still have a 26r for sale or spare. (though didn't hear about a KM frame in Concord?)

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
galleywench said:
Decisions decisions...
Are you looking to build this bike up as a SS or geared?

In terms of budget - or keeping it "cheap" (as if such a thing exists in cycling:D ), make sure you are cherry picking the eBay auctions and MTBR.com classifieds. Plenty of frames and forks come along that may serve you quite well and can be bought for a discount compared to buying new.

BB

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.